positioning point by formula

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
vanisaac

positioning point by formula

Post by vanisaac »

I would like to see a feature where you could define the position of a point by means of a formula. The way I would design it would be to have each contour be lettered, with each point referenced by the contour and its "point number", so the third point on the second contour would be "b3". You could then have formula characters (this would obviously require a field somewhere where you would enter the formula and execute the command) that would designate a line, or the curve between points, for example:

"a4/b6=300x" would place the selected point where a line "/" intersecting points "a4" and "b6" equals "=" or crosses 300 on the x axis "300x".

Likewise:
"b4*b8+200y=a7/c1-50x" would place the point where the curve "*" from point "b4" to point "b8" moved 200 funits vertically up "+200y" intersected "=" a line"/" paralell to the line from "a7" to "c1" but 50 funits to the left "-50x".

For multiple solutions to the formula, which can happen with curves, you could have approximations "~200y" (near 200 on the y axis) and instantiations "#2" (second solution along the curve) to resolve any ambiguity.

I realize this request would require some careful programming, but I believe that it would add a great deal of functionality to fcp, especially for those of us who are not interested in making fonts of our handwriting, but instead create our designs from scratch.

Thanks,

Van Anderson