Sample Glyph Size

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Sample Glyph Size

Post by Dave Crosby »

Select Tools > Options > Sample.

Changing either Glyph Width or Glyph Height changes the left hand display size, but makes no difference to the dimensions of the resulting glyph when drug into the edit window.

I hoped to be able to get taller or fatter glyphs or at least increase or decrease the overall dimensions of the resulting glyphs.

A little explanation at that location of "normal setting" and results would be nice.
I noticed leaving the boxes empty resets to "factory setting" which is helpful.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Although I understand your intentions, this is not a bug. Drawing a sample into the Glyph Edit window similar to the way you can add a rectangle or an ellipse, would be a great enhancement. I'll add that to the to-do list.
I noticed leaving the boxes empty resets to "factory setting" which is helpful.
When you empty a field that represents a value, the value is reset to the last known value.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Not a bug

Post by Dave Crosby »

Then perhaps this topic should be moved to the request section, or perhaps better yet deleted all together.
Drawing a sample into the Glyph Edit window similar to the way you can add a rectangle or an ellipse, would be a great enhancement. I'll add that to the to-do list.
It would be helpful to enter a set number so all the samples pulled in at the same dimensions (H = 1600, W = 1600; use a multiplier, or match font metrics some way) instead of having to hand size them.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've added your request to the to-do list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Sample Glyph Size

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

After giving some thought to this, I don't see see any advantage at all in changing the current behaviour. Why?
  1. Click and drag to resize is imprecise. Even using snap to guidelines is not always useful because although a rectangle should snap to the guides, a circle or triangle should overshoot them.
  2. The sample glyphs aren't likely to be the required size for many fonts. The symbols and dingbats in the samples font were designed for a CapHeight of 1434 funits, but most fonts will have different CapHeights. The Size Tab of the Transform Toolbar can be used after dragging the sample contours into the glyph edit window to resize them to the desired size. The newly added contours will already be selected, so it's not a problem.
  3. Making the behaviour like the Rectangle and Circle tools just adds one extra click to place the sample contours at their default size.
  4. Clicking to place the sample contours means they will always be placed in a different position. Currently, they are always placed on the baseline (or wherever they were designed to be positioned), and always with the left side-bearing that they were designed to have.
Drop Sample into Glyph.png
Drop Sample into Glyph.png (19.83 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486