Remember window positions on quit

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
taras2

Remember window positions on quit

Post by taras2 »

It would be really great if Fontcreator would remember which windows were open, and their positions (as well as which font was last open for editing, which it already does). I have mine like this so it's a bit annoying having to rearrange windows each time I go into the app:

Secondly, it would be handy if you could copy from the Glyph Overview window (on the right) and paste into the Glyph Editor window (on the left). For one thing, this would mean you could have temporary 'bits and pieces' stored in unused glyphs to copy and paste as you go along. (Hey, this might be a weird way of working but I'm not a professional :) )

Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Remember window positions on quit

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

taras2 wrote:It would be really great if Fontcreator would remember which windows were open, and their positions (as well as which font was last open for editing, which it already does).
That would be useful and has been requested before, but if you get used to using Ctrl Tab to switch windows, you can maximize all windows and forget about having to arrange them.
taras2 wrote:Secondly, it would be handy if you could copy from the Glyph Overview window (on the right) and paste into the Glyph Editor window (on the left).
In Tools, Options, Samples, select the font you want to copy bits from, and view the samples toolbar (F12). You can drag and drop glyphs from that into the glyph edit window.

Even better, make your own sample font with just the contours or glyphs that you wish to reuse in the current font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
taras2

Post by taras2 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:In Tools, Options, Samples, select the font you want to copy bits from, and view the samples toolbar (F12). You can drag and drop glyphs from that into the glyph edit window.

Even better, make your own sample font with just the contours or glyphs that you wish to reuse in the current font.
Thanks, but I meant copying within the font that I'm currently working on, rather than copying from an existing font. I can see that this would be more difficult to implement than remembering window positions.

Re Ctrl-Tab - I am used to using this, but I like working with more than one window open. I don't see the point in having a multiple document interface (MDI) if you have them all maximized... :)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

taras2 wrote:Thanks, but I meant copying within the font that I'm currently working on, rather than copying from an existing font.
Then save a copy of the font you're currently working on as your samples font. In that copy, delete all glyphs except the ones you want to copy from to make selection quicker.

Note that there is an intrinsic problem with copying glyphs from the overview to the glyph edit window. That procedure is already in use for creating composite glyphs. For example, select a grave accent and a vowel in the glyph overview, and copy them. Open an empty glyph and paste them. A composite glyph is created. (The glyph must be empty — make it empty if its not already)

What is possible is to double-click a glyph in the overview to open a new glyph edit window, copy the glyph, close the glyph edit window, then paste it into the glyph edit window.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
taras2

Post by taras2 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:What is possible is to double-click a glyph in the overview to open a new glyph edit window, copy the glyph, close the glyph edit window, then paste it into the glyph edit window.
Yep, this is what I'm doing already. It's not a very pressing issue really, I'd much rather have the window positions saved :)
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

Have you tried using the mouse to select portions (or use the Edit/ Copy all) of your glyph, selecting Copy, then pasting it wherever you want?
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See this post in the Tip of the Day thread.

The window size and position, the OpenType Designer size and position, the toolbar docked/floating/disabled state, the fonts opened last time and their order on the Tab bar, and other FontCreator options are all stored in the Windows registry.

Set everything up as you like it, then export the Windows registry key, e.g. to FontCreator 9.0.reg — then double-click the *.reg file in Windows Explorer to restore the saved settings before launching FontCreator.