× Group Font Files into Families in Windows

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
alanckt

× Group Font Files into Families in Windows

Post by alanckt »

Hi
I would like to group a few related fonts files into a family so that

1) when windows cannot find the code point from the 1st fonts file
it will automatically look into the second fonts file and if still not there it will go into 3rd font file.
(most unihan fonts has a set of fonts extA and extB and both fonts files are nearly full, I will need ext C)

2) when a code point sharing a few glypes and each glype is in its own font file, i wish to choose the glype by highlight the character when I type the character on a notepad in windows and picking the glype I wanted from the different font file by typing ctrl esc or someting like that ( incase ctrl esc has been used for other purpose) you can see the example in uni han code points U+761F or U+7609 both have 2 type of glypes.

cheers
Alan
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: group fonts files into family in windows

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The first issue is solely under the control of the application that you're using and nothing to do with FontCreator, nor can FontCreator do anything to fix it. Search for Glyph Fallback, which is supported in OpenOffice.

The second issue can be solved by defining Glyph Substitutions in your font using Stylistic Sets. The alternate glyphs must exist in the same font. Still, Notepad or Wordpad don't support OpenType features, and nor does OpenOffice yet AFAIK. You would have to use Word 2010 or later, PagePlus, InDesign or some other application that does.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
alanckt

Post by alanckt »

Can MAINTYPE do the job?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

alanckt wrote:Can MAINTYPE do the job?
No
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

alanckt wrote:Can MAINTYPE do the job?
A font manager can't change the way fonts work in software. It can help you find, group, and use fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology