Viewing entire unicode ranges

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
node_ue

Viewing entire unicode ranges

Post by node_ue »

Hi, I would like to be able to view entire Unicode ranges in FCP like I can in Fontlab. Similarly, I would like to easily be able to move the characters in one Unicode range to another.

For example, if I designed characters before their addition to Unicode, it is somewhat laborious to have to change their codepoints one by one once they are assigned codepoints in the Unicode standard, but this can easily be done in Fontlab by cutting or copying all characters in one range and pasting them in another.

The advantage, for me, of using FCP is that it supports Plane 1, but the disadvantage is that characters cannot be moved in large numbers to new codepoints, and it's difficult to create characters for a range while in Fontlab you can just view the range and double-click on each character. However, Fontlab doesn't support Plane 1 (in practice; it is supposed to though), so it can't be used to modify fonts with Plane 1 characters.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Which version of Font Creator are you using?

Version 5 allows you to insert enitre Unicode Ranges easily with all the correct mappings. Glyph data can be copied from other positions, or other fonts, and pasted into those new character positions, as long as the order of the characters is unchanged.

See this other thread

It is possible in earlier versions of Font Creator or the Home Edition, but it involves more cut and paste, as one has to first cut and paste the characters with mappings from a font that does have the character mappings one want to use, to new empty glyphs, then copy and paste the glyph data with glyph metrics.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
node_ue

Post by node_ue »

Still, can I *view entire Unicode ranges*? That would still be a nice feature.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Not having used Fontlab, I'm having difficulty understanding what it is you want that is not already available in Font Creator. :? You can already view entire Unicode Ranges in the Insert Character dialogue box.

Below is the Insert Character dialogue showing the Currency Symbolsl Character set. Click the next block and next plane buttons to view other Unicode character sets.
Insert Characters.png
Insert Characters.png (37.82 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
All the characters available in the selected (template) font (Titus Cyberbit Basic) are shown. Those characters already in the open font are highlighted in green. The currently selected character is shown enlarged in the bottom left corner.

Double-click any character to add it to the current open font. Hold down shift, and double-click to add a range of characters. What more do you need?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486