Fright Mare Bold.

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Fright Mare Bold.

Post by Dave Crosby »

I wanted to put this out for Halloween, but as usual, I’m a little slow.

In 1960 I visited the catacombs beneath la Iglacia de Cristobol Colon in Lima, Peru.
The sign at the entrance was made from human finger bones wired in place to form the letters.

I decided to reproduce the font by scanning in photos of individual bones and moving/rotating them into place for each glyph. In no time at all I was over 300KB for the first few glyphs of the font, so I had to remove as many contours and points as possible. See:
viewtopic.php?p=5110#5110

I used the long bones of the legs and arms and ribs to form upper case letters and centered lower case "finger letters" to make them look less out of proportion.
I decided to use a skull for “O” and Removed as many contours and points as possible without seriously degrading the image.
I started off with a spine for "S" but it just took too many points. It and the original skull is in there somewhere. See if you can find them.
I used the knee bone for a period, sideways for a comma and quotes. # was formed from fibulas.
I used skeletal hands for the numbers 1-9, and the back view of a skull for “0.”

Try it. You may like it.
Fright Mare Bold.ttf
Aut nunc aut nunquam