Verajja Update

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: Verajja Update

Post by Dave Crosby »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Erwin Denissen wrote:That is an amazing amount of improvements. Well done!
A shocking number of mistakes, more like! However, the amazing improvements in FontCreator do make it easier to spot them.
"How long does it take to make a font?" Perhaps an hour.
"How long does it take to make a perfect font?" Forever!

Standard Fonts - Not even close.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am still improving this one after more than ten years. It's not perfect yet.

Version 3.60 added Localized Forms for Romanian, ligatures for Dutch, added some Stylistic Alternates for ! and ~, improved kerning classes, and added many kerning pairs. The Web versions include Small Capitals and are hinted, but they have no Petite Capitals, Alternative Fractions, and fewer symbols.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.70 improved the design of glyphs with ogonek accents and added four more for Nordic, E and O ogonek with acute. They are mapped to the code-points suggested by the Medieval Unicode Font Initiative. The Web and WOFF version now include a full set of Unicode space glyphs: hair space, thin space, etc.
BoldGlyphsWithOgonek.png
BoldGlyphsWithOgonek.png (10.98 KiB) Viewed 39375 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.80 added two glyphs for Transport and Map Symbols Stupa and Pagoda. The Web versions include Small Capitals and are hinted, but they have no Petite Capitals or Alternative Fractions, and fewer symbols. Some Unicode space glyphs were added back. The archive now includes WOFF and WOFF2 versions, which are much smaller than the Web versions with the same glyphs and they are hinted.

Version 3.81 added a Currency symbol for the Bitcoin sign to complete the set. The Contextual Ligatures for Velhuis Encoding, which are enabled by default, were replaced with Character Variants, which have to manually enabled. Localised forms for Romanian were removed. Some discretionary ligatures like ty were spaced a bit wider as they were too tight.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.90 adds Stylistic Alternates for gold drop capitals — the Pagoda Symbol is now gold too. The Stylistic Set for symbols was changed to Character Variants, and a second Stylistic set was added for Romanian Alternate forms: Şş and Ţţ (Localised forms are not supported by the Serif Apps that I use). More superscript and subscript glyphs were added for the fractions feature, which now works for fractions like x+y/(a-b). The fonts were validated to remove suspicious points and other bugs.
Stylistic Alternates.png
Stylistic Alternates.png (25.52 KiB) Viewed 38276 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.92 fixed some bugs and added three Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs (two-coloured).
Globe Symbols.png
Globe Symbols.png (19.1 KiB) Viewed 38249 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.93 improved some glyphs, and added about 1,900 kerning pairs for lowercase bringing the total to over 42K
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.94 added kerning pairs for the Stylistic Alternates (Drop Capitals) with Capitals, Small Capitals, and Petite Capitals. I calculated these using a temporary pair adjustments lookup. When I am satisfied with the result, I copy them to the main pair adjustment lookup that is actually used by the font. A lot of time is saved by using copy/paste between the four type styles, and then running Autokern again for each style to get slightly different values for each.
Adding Pair Adjustments.png
Adding Pair Adjustments.png (76 KiB) Viewed 38175 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.95 improved the superscript glyphs. The bold transform after scaling tends to leave some strokes too thick, so some manual adjustment of nodes is usually needed.

Version 3.96 fixed a bug in Verajja Regular where × was left as a composite of + when it should be made simple, edited, and rotated 45°. Complete composites is used just to aid design, to make widths and weights consistent.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

More bug fixes in version 3.97 and more glyphs in version 3.98
  • Added a few more kerning pairs
  • Removed code-points from OldStyle Numbers, Alternative Fractions, Discretionary Ligatures, and Superscripts for Ordinals (See this post on TypeDrawers for the reason).
  • A coloured glyph was added for Direct Hit (1F3AF, a Dartboard)
  • Glyphs were added for Clock Faces, 1 Oclock to 12 Oclock. In Serif PagePlus, unmapped glyphs, or glyphs in the higher Unicode planes can be added from the Insert Symbol dialogue using the “Glyphs” radio button.
New Glyphs.png
New Glyphs.png (18.01 KiB) Viewed 38096 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

• Version 3.99 loosened kerning
  • Added some more kerning pairs
  • Fixed some bugs
  • Deleted some unused glyphs
  • Removed code-points from all PUA that do not require it.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

• Version 4.00 fixed some bugs
  • Some currency symbols and glyphs for Clock Faces were improved with reversed glyphs for bold and bold italic.
Clock.png
Clock.png (21.34 KiB) Viewed 38020 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 4.01 fixed some bugs with the directhit coloured glyph so that it is usable in applications that do no support colour. Currently, there are very few desktop publishing or word-processing programs that support colour fonts, but most browsers do now, so I leave my coloured glyphs in the WOFF versions although it adds significantly to the file size.

Kerning was also tweaked to improve some awkward pairs like F, P, or K- which are often too tightly kerned.

Version 4.01 was updated with FontCreator 12, to added some Mathematical Operators and a Position Indicator in Technical Symbols, and to fix some bugs.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 4.10 in FontCreator 13.0
  1. Added Bitcoin Sign Currency Symbol
  2. Added Stylistic Alternates for Drop Capitals
  3. Added x and ÷ glyphs for Scientific Inferiors (sinf)
  4. Used Anchor-based positioning for composites
  5. Added Roman Numerals to Historical Ligatures (hlig)
  6. Restored full set of Alternative Fractions to Web versions
  7. Added 15 Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows
  8. Added PUA code-points to pcap/smcp to support kerning in Serif Apps
  9. Removed $£¥ currency symbols from smcp/pcap because they do not work well with figures
  10. Used ([{}]) only in c2pc/c2sc
  11. Calculated metrics for 130% default line-spacing
  12. Set Contents and Layout to version 5
  13. Calculated Recommended sizes (for super/subscripts)
  14. Kerning pairs for Regular type style = 66,484
No doubt there are still some bugs, but it is now ready for launch.
Rocket.png
Rocket.png (18.31 KiB) Viewed 34866 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 4.11 added lc/Caps kerning pairs, uppercase numerators and denominators, and added # to Character Variants. Subtables were added for the kerning adjustment lookup to make font maintenance easier.