Guru • A condensed font for teachers

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Guru • A condensed font for teachers

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

DownloadTypeface Sample

Guru was one of my earlier attempts at making my own fonts. For this update I have made many changes and additions, and corrected several errors.
  • The Regular typestyle is now lighter, but less condensed
  • The bold and bold italic typefaces are now lighter
  • Petite Caps now match the x-Height of the font
  • Maths Symbols now align vertically to the x-Height rather than CapHeight
  • A full set of Greek Extended Glyphs have been added, and Greek Petite Caps
  • Some Enclosed Alphanumerics have been added
  • OpenType features have been added for Petite Caps, Small Caps, Standard, Discretionary, Contextual, and Historical Ligatures, OldStyle Figures, Alternative Annotation Forms, Ornaments, Stylistic Sets, Ordinals, Slashed Zero, Fractions, Alternative Fractions, Superscripts, Subscripts, and Scientific Inferiors.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Guru Update

Post by William »

Thank you for making your fonts available in the Gallery.

I have had an initial look through the Regular and the Italic and have noticed with pleasure the large number of long s ligatures that are included.

May I ask a question please as to who may use these fonts and for what purposes please?

My reason for asking is that the Description field has the following.

A free typeface for Buddhist Publications

If you modify the font, you could use this field to describe the changes you have made.

end quote

This wording seems to me to mean that the font should not be used for any publication other than a Buddhist publication.

Is that your intention?

William Overington

7 October 2010
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I designed the font for Buddhist publications, but how you use it is entirely up to you.

I have updated the attachment to the previous post. The ordinals feature now works for all the superscripts needed for ordinals that I know of. You can test with the TrueType viewer to see how it works.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I designed the font for Buddhist publications, but how you use it is entirely up to you.

Thank you.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: I have updated the attachment to the previous post. The ordinals feature now works for all the superscripts needed for ordinals that I know of. You can test with the TrueType viewer to see how it works.

I regret to say that I do not understand the second and third sentences of the above quote.

Is it something to do with using 1 followed by a raised st for first, a 2 followed by a raised nd for second, a 3 followed by a raised rd for third and a 4 ...9, followed by a raised th for fourth, ..., ninth and 0 followed by th for zeroth, tenth, hundredth, thousandth, millionth?

To what are you referring when you mention "the TrueType viewer" please?

I have learned most of my typography by reading and have not than attended a structured course on typography and so may have missed something fairly basic.

William Overington

7 October 2010
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is a link to the TrueType Viewer in the tutorial thread — Adding OpenType Features. It is a free utility useful for testing that OpenType features are working as intended.

Read the tutorial thread, examine the attached script "Guru.txt" used by OpenType Compiler to convert Guru *.ttf to Guru *.otf, and then try it on your own fonts. The script uses postscript names so the extra superscript glyphs don't actually have to be mapped. Postscript names can be copied from one font to another using Paste Special.

The attached Transform script will add a full set of Ordinal glyphs to your fonts.
Attachments
Ordinals.xml
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
Guru.txt
(15.64 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Guru 2.50 Update

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Now that PagePlus X5 supports OpenType features, I am in the process of updating my free fonts. Even if you don't have PagePlus, you can install and use the fonts, but you won't be able to use the extra Smart Font technology to access the extra glyphs unless you have a program that supports those features. They can still be inserted using Insert Symbol or Windows Character map.
  • Added OpenType Feature for Fractions, Alternative (Stacking) Fractions, Alternative Annotation forms, Petite Capitals, Petite Capitals from Capitals, Ornaments, Ordinals, Superscripts, Scientific Inferiors, Titling Capitals, Discretionary Ligatures, Historical Ligatures, Standard Ligatures, and Stylistic Alternates.
  • Added several Miscellaneous Symbols to complete the set in line with the Unicode Standard version 6.0.
  • Added many more kerning pairs
  • Fixed some errors
Free 7-Zip Archiver
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Guru 2.9 Update

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added currency symbols to complete the set for Unicode 7.0 (Russian Ruble, etc.)

Fixed a bug with brackets in Small Caps and Petite Caps.

Added many more kerning pairs.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Guru 3.0 Update

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added more kerning pairs and fixed some bugs.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Guru 3.40 Update

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.40 completed the Greek Extended, Number Forms, and Dingbats character sets, added a Slashed Zero, and removed the Localised forms.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Version 3.80
  • Improved low profile diacritics for narrow glyphs
  • Used composites wherever practical
  • Added kerning pairs for lowercase
  • Harmonized weight of lowercase
  • Fixed widths of em-dash, en-dash, horizontal bar, and figure dash
  • Tightened numerators of Alternative Fractions
  • Added glyphs for irony in Supplemental Punctuation
  • Optimized contours to reduce number of points
  • Updated glyphs for Turkish Lira and Lari sign
  • Improved glyphs for Greek Sigma
  • Kerned pairs within Greek Extended compound glyphs
  • Improved glyphs for tilde and perispomeni
  • Fixed many bugs
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Guru 4.0 Update

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Guru 4.0 (Released 28-1-2018)
  • Three glyphs were added for Bitcoin, Stupa and Pagoda Transport and Map symbols for Unicode 10.0
  • Added superscript/subscripts glyphs for formulae in fractions
  • Added more kerning pairs and improved kerning.