Style Art Font

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Style Art Font

Post by William »

Earlier today I was playing with a desktop publishing package, Serif PagePlus X2 (that is, PagePlus version X2: it is not the latest version of PagePlus) experimenting with trying to produce a pdf of something like the shop sign shown in the first Google Streetview link in the Fonts in use in Florence thread.

For the lettering I used a font named Snow Caps-Condensed Italic, which is bundled with PagePlus X2 (on the resource disc), using two layers. The font is not the same as on the shop sign, it is just the nearest that I have available at the present time.

I then began to think about how to do the lines. I remembered my Style Art Font, produced in 2005 when I produced my Style font.

In the event, the Style Art Font provided the line and curved corner elements that I needed for the design.

So I thought that I would add a note about that in the High-Logic forum.

Upon checking, I found that, although I have mentioned the Style Art Font a number of times in High-Logic forum posts and provided a link, the Style Art Font has not previously been publicised in the Gallery forum.

The font has been available from the following web page for a long time.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/fonts.htm

Here is a transcript of an extract from the notes about the font from that web page.

----

The Style Art Font provides glyphs for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Q, W, A, S, q, w, a, s, E, R, D, F, e, r, d, f, T, Y, G, H, t, y, g, h, Z, z, V, v. This is a total of 38 items, with 0 being a blank square shape so as to provide spacing out of other items. A space is provided and that is also square, yet using the 0 helps in documenting graphics using a monospaced text font. The Style Art Font is, internally, structurally a Unicode font yet the glyphs do not match Unicode code charts so it is not a Unicode font when in use.

The sets of letters such as Q, W, A, S are chosen so that sets of four items which together produce a basic shape are conveniently located together when using an ordinary keyboard.

For example, the four items from E, R, D, F can be set out as follows.

ER
DF

However, the items of a set may also be used with other items from the set in a different order, or may be used in conjunction with other items from the font.

Here are some examples.

FD
RE

ER
AS

----

For the design in the style of the shop sign, I used Z, Y, space and v for the upper curved line and V, G and z for the lower curved line. Please note that T, Y, G and H form a block of four characters on many keyboards and the Style Art Font uses T, Y, G and H to produce a complete thick-rimmed circle.

Here is a direct link to the font.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/STYLEART.TTF

Hopefully this font will be of interest, whether for trying to produce a display of something like the shop sign or for other designs.

William Overington

8 November 2008
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

FWIW: The name of the first font in your Google trip to Florence is Almonte Snow by Ray Larabie. A free copy can be gotten from:

http://desktoppub.about.com/library/fon ... tesnow.htm

I couldn't identify the second font.