Multiple master fonts to PDF not working

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jpastor

Multiple master fonts to PDF not working

Post by jpastor »

I am trying to print sample sheets (font information) to PDF, via Acrobat Distiller (as opposed to a third-party driver -- most of which are iffy with Type 1 fonts anyway).

I have not yet been able to get any multiple master font to print at all, and when I check the fonts in the doc props, sure enough, the only fonts listed are Arial (for the page headings).

This appears to be specific to MM fonts, because I can print (to PDF) TT, OT, and normal T1 fonts.

Any theories?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A quote from Font handling in Acrobat Distiller (Acrobat 6.0-7.0 Professional)
Because multiple master fonts (such as Minion MM) create specific instances of a font based on the properties of a document and where the font is used, Acrobat Distiller cannot embed them. Instead, Acrobat Distiller adds a subset of the font, which has a unique font ID. Because MM fonts generate these instances dynamically, you cannot embed the fonts or edit them in Acrobat. Adobe Technical Support recommends that you don't use MM fonts if you need to edit or embed fonts in Acrobat.
Maybe this helps.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
jpastor

To quote Homer Simpson

Post by jpastor »

D'OH!

Should have known Erwin would have the answer.

Anybody else here ever seen tech support at this high a level before? I've been in the business for 20 years, and it's unprecedented in my experience.