Deleted fonts still listed in MT and all other programs

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
thinsoldier

Deleted fonts still listed in MT and all other programs

Post by thinsoldier »

I just got the Main Type demo and I've been using it for a couple hours. It's great so far.

My problem is that many of my fonts that I 'loaded' were on an old external drive that just died.

Now, in Main Type, Word, Illustrator etc... I still see all of those fonts names listed but obviously they're gone. And I can't remove them from the list by uninstalling, unloading or deleting.

Please Help.

Screenshot at http://thinsoldier.com/wip/MT.gif

thinsoldier

UPDATE

Post by thinsoldier »

UPDATE

found a backup of the fonts on a DVD.
Put it in an external dvd player and hooked it up so it would have the same drive letter.

open MT and I see the fonts now, BUT 'file name' and 'folder' information are still blank, and I still cant uninstall/delete/unload any of the fonts located on teh dvd.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

From the user manual:
A loaded font is added to the system font table, but not to the font related part of the registry. Because all fonts in the system font table are available to all applications, loaded fonts (just like installed fonts) are available to all applications. However loaded fonts are no longer available after the system is rebooted.

So, just reboot your system and let us know if the manual is correct ;-)
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm not sure (because Windows font cache is very sensitive), but you could also try to unload the fonts through the Browse pane.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
thinsoldier

Post by thinsoldier »

Thanks, after rebooting I was able to remove the bad ones by using 'delete'

um, suggestion, could you make it more obvious whether or not you're 'deleting' the file from the MT list or actually deleting the file from the hard-drive.

if it weren't for the fact that I knew my K: drive was a read-only dvd I've have been a bit paranoid about my decision to agree to the deletion of some other fonts I wasn't using any more.

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the bare-bones fonts necessary for Windows XP to function properly?

Over the years I've let 441 fonts sneak into my c:\windows\fonts folder.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for the feedback.

I might be wrong, but I think it is pretty obvious what Delete is supposed to do. I'm very curious about what other users have to say about this. I will definitely try to improve this when more people confirm this is a confusing feature.
You wouldn't happen to have a list of the bare-bones fonts necessary for Windows XP to function properly?
Here is an external link to Fonts installed by Windows.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
thinsoldier

Post by thinsoldier »

Ok, what I mean is

I have fonts on a cd.
The cd is obviously read only, nothing can be added to or deleted from the cd.

I 'load' a font from the cd. I assumed load doesn't copy the font anywhere it just tells the system to use it from it's current location on the cd. (Am I wrong?)

When I don't want to use the font I can 'unload' it but it's still in the list in MT.
I don't want it to be in the list at all anymore, so I 'delete' it. If delete is actually deleting the file from the harddrive, when it tries to delete the file on the cd shouldnt it give an error saying the file is read only and can't be deleted (from a cd-rom)?

The fact that it did not give a read only error when deleting suggests to me it only removed all reference to that font from the MT program and did not actually attempt to delete it from the disk.

see what I mean? yes? no? I dunno?
I'll mess with it some more later and make sure I'm fully awake when I do. :)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I 'load' a font from the cd. I assumed load doesn't copy the font anywhere it just tells the system to use it from it's current location on the cd. (Am I wrong?)
That correct, when you load a font it isn't copied. However when you install a font from a removable storage medium it is copied to Windows fonts folder, to ensure they are always available to your system.
When I don't want to use the font I can 'unload' it but it's still in the list in MT.
When you load or install a font, it will be added to the Active tab. When you unload a font, it will be removed from that list. If not, you have encountered a bug.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology