Problem After Using System Restore

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Problem After Using System Restore

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am using MainType to organise my fonts after upgrading to Windows XP, and just beginning to see how powerful it is, but I have a problem after using System Restore. Is this is a problem with System Restore or with MainType?

I disabled System Restore in Windows ME because it never worked when I needed it to. Hence I'm not very familiar with how it works. What I thought was that it would restore your programs, but leave your documents alone, and your fonts, unless perhaps they were in the Fonts folder.

I copied a whole lot of fonts from my old system using a USB stick to transfer them. I created about ten subfolders, which were also Font Groups in my user folder such as:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bhikkhu Pesala\My Documents\My Fonts\Bitstream\

I used MainType to filter fonts, e.g. containing "BT" in the name, added them to the appropriate group, and uninstalled them.

After using System Restore, only two subfolders remained, which I had created before the restore point, and all of my transferred fonts were gone. Is this going to happen again if I have to do another System Restore at some point?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is even worse than I thought.
I created a restore point, then restored back to the most recent point before that to confirm that the fonts were indeed disappearing. Then I undid the restore, fully expecting them to return, but they did not. My subfolders and all the fonts are gone! :(

Now you know why I didn't want to upgrade to Windows XP.

According to advice received on the PC Advisor Forum this seems to be a problem with System Restore.

Why does System Restore not only remove Truetype Fonts from My Documents folders, (I can understand why it should remove installed fonts from the Windows font folder), but it also fails to restore them when I undo the restore! :roll: I thought the idea of System Restore was to prevent problems, not to create new ones.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I never used a system restore, so I don't know why this happens. This is what Microsoft says about it:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true

I still hope you enjoy your new O.S. Have you already enabled Unicode support in FontCreator?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I've bookmarked the site for now. I don't have time to read all that for now. At least it doesn't seem to be a problem with MainType or how I'm using it.

I turned on Unicode support in FontCreator, and I noticed the improvements in MainType — I got as far as defining text samples for Pāli and Sanskrit. Later I will make some for the Latin Extended character sets. I expect I will spend some time with both MainType and FontCreator soon, but there is still a lot of reorganising to do.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

JIT For Vista

Post by Dick Pape »

Welcome aboard.