Preview Text - Font Name Missing

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
rmerkle

Preview Text - Font Name Missing

Post by rmerkle »

Still learning here.... so go easy...

In the Preview Text I have some fonts showing as "ABCDEFGHIJ" (the Preview Text under Options menu is set to "Font Name"). Under the Information panel the Font Name shows as (for example) "Aidan Italic" but does not show under "Preview Text" column. Most all the other fonts do have names showing in the Preview Text.

How can I get the font name to appear in Preview Text for this one or two (actually about 30 fonts)....

Thanks for bearing with me as I learn this software...

Bob
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Bob,

A very good question! That's why this question has already been answered in the MainType FAQ. I've just added the answer with some more background information here:
viewtopic.php?p=6104#6104
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
rmerkle

Post by rmerkle »

Erwin,

I did see the FAQ but it did not really answer my question or explain why some fonts show "AbCdEfGhIj".... but maybe I was not clear either... I understand "Symbol" fonts would do this (like "wingdings").. but these are NOT symbol fonts that are showing this way but regular text fonts. When I look at one font that shows the "name" and the font that is showing the ""AbCdEfGhIj" I really don't see a difference (all the characters seem to be the same in the "Character" section .... It may be that I just don't understand the internal working of fonts but from a casual user standpoint I don't see the difference.... I know I'm probably missing something obvious.... so thank you in advance for your patience.... (but I really did read the FAQ and even search the forum but could find this particular issue)...

Thanks,

Bob
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Can you send me one of these fonts that behaves in this way?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
rmerkle

Post by rmerkle »

Bhikkhu,

Just sent you the font file.... Thanks...

Bob
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The font is a symbol font. That is why it doesn't display the font name in the Preview pane of MainType. Although the alphabets are in the font, they are not mapped to A-z on the Microsoft Unicode platform.

To change it to a Unicode font, please see these instructions in the online FontCreator manual.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
rmerkle

Post by rmerkle »

Bhikkhu,

Thanks for looking at the font.... as I warned I'm very new to "fonts" and am coming to realize there is a lot more to them.... Didn't realize a Symbol font would contain letters...

Thanks for clarifying... now the FAQ makes much more sense...

Bob