PostScript Type 1 MM fonts and Vista

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Adam_S

PostScript Type 1 MM fonts and Vista

Post by Adam_S »

We just purchased MainType to replace a program called Font Reserve on our Vista machines, since Font reserve cannot load PostScript Type 1 fonts under Vista, and MainType can. However, we have a couple hundred fonts that are PostScript Type 1 MM. MainType will pull some of the info in, but instead of the preview, it will say <Font not accessible>, and Unknown Type under the Type column. Oddly, Font Reserve can actually load those under Vista. I was wondering if there was a way to make them work properly with MainType, as ideally we would only like to use one program.

A second quirk is Maintype will display the Font Family name which is not always what they saw before in Font Reserve...it used the "PostScript Name" (That's what the program called it). I was wondering if it was possible to get that name displayed as a sortable column somehow. I tried using the {Font_Name} option in the privew, but that doesn't always display properly for every font, and the Adobe fonts still prefix Adobe on to the front of the name.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Adam,

Sorry for my late reply. I would really like to investigate both issues. I thought Windows Vista didn't support MM fonts. Can you please send me some font files along with some screenshots that explain what you see in MainType and what you see in Font Reserve? I would also like to see some sample "PostScript Names".
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Adam_S

Post by Adam_S »

Where would you like me to send the files...the forum e-mail?

Also another interesting behavior...with MainType installed, Font Reserve can load the PS type 1 fonts.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Adam,

The forum email address is fine, but you can also send them directly to me:
erwin.denissen@...
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

after the @ sign, you have to put: high-logic.com

I'm convinced I'm able to find a solution soon if you send the requested font files to me. Thanks in advance.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for sending the requested information. We are still looking for a way to support PostScript Type 1 Multiple Master fonts, but I'm afraid other feature requests, like compare and duplicate, are more important to most customers, especially since Multiple Master fonts are phased out as shown below.

A quote from Thomas Phinney, Product Manager Fonts & Global Typography, Adobe Systems
PHASING OUT MULTIPLE MASTER FONTS

Adobe stopped making new MM and Type 1 fonts in 1999, and there is no equivalent to MM in the newer OpenType format. From late 2002 to mid 2003, Adobe phased out sales of multiple master fonts. As of this writing, they can only be bought from Adobe as part of Font Folio 9, which is still available for people who need compatibility with older fonts. The current version of Font Folio is Font Folio OpenType Edition, which shipped in August 2003.

At the end of 2004, Adobe stopped offering tech support for MM fonts, excepting for people with Font folio 9.
In case you are thinking about buying OpenType versions of your multiple master fonts, I want you to know Adobe gives a 50% discount.
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/mmoffer.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Adam_S

Post by Adam_S »

I understand completely and I appreciate all your help. We have a workable solution and the person currently using MainType is finding he likes it better than Font Reserve. Thanks again for your help.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your fast and positive response. I'm very happy to know the person who uses MainType is still happy with it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
SmartyCZ

The same problem

Post by SmartyCZ »

Hello,

I have the same problem with MainType. A few days ago I found out that ALL pfm and otf fonts ain't displayed in MT. Though everything was OK with ttf's. A weird thing is that when I copy those fonts to another computer I can easily see them in a default font viewer. MT isn't installed on that computer.

I thought those fonts got corrupted somehow. I downloaded new fonts from the web. But MT didn't display them either.

Please share the solution you worked out before in this thread and I'll check if it works.

I run windows xp sp3. MT 2.1.1 build 38.

Thank you in advance.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MainType should find all fonts, but only shows fonts that are not filtered out by the Filter setting. So please confirm you've not accidentally unchecked PostScript Type 1 Fonts in the Filter dialog.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
SmartyCZ

Post by SmartyCZ »

Erwin Denissen wrote:MainType should find all fonts, but only shows fonts that are not filtered out by the Filter setting. So please confirm you've not accidentally unchecked PostScript Type 1 Fonts in the Filter dialog.
All font types are checked.
MT says that Font not Accessible
Windows reports that the requested file isn't a valid font file.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do or did you have ATM installed on your system?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
SmartyCZ

Post by SmartyCZ »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Do or did you have ATM installed on your system?
I didn't have it installed when this problem raised. But yesterday I tried to install it to check if it displayed those fonts correctly. It read a folder with those fonts easily but I didn't add any fonts and uninstalled ATM.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Might your problem be caused by a video driver as mentioned here?
viewtopic.php?t=2241
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
SmartyCZ

Post by SmartyCZ »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Might your problem be caused by a video driver as mentioned here?
viewtopic.php?t=2241
ATMfix fixed the problem with those fonts in the windows fonts folder. After having rolled back to older nvidia driver, all fonts got to work in MT and Windows as well.

Thank you very much for your help.