Postscript fonts laod permanently

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

FiFoFo

Post by Dave Crosby »

It sounds like a new version of Fix Font Folder is still needed.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Krystman

Post by Krystman »

I have the same problem. PFM fonts appear as "<Font not accessible>" in Main Type. When I double-click on them in Windows, I get a "is not a valid font file." error message. I installed Adobe Font Manager Light (the newest version) and I get also an error message (fount could not be activated). I'm 100% sure the fonts are ok, I have then from a backup of my old system.

I've also installed the patch but that didn't help. I have both files, atmfd.dll and atmlib.dll. The armfd.dll is registered as a font driver in my registry as it should be. What now? :?

On a Sidenote:
I have some other problems with fonts. They may be related. On some websites (and sometimes in my mails program too, although I can't be sure) some special characters are missing. For example, this website:
http://labs.live.com/photosynth/video3.htm

Looks like this:
(The Apostrophes work just fine on other Websites)

But this is a minor problem.

I recently had a virus and I had to shut down some windows services in order to get rid of it. Something might have gone wrong in the process but I have no clue as to where to begin solving this problem. Please help! I'm a graphic designer and I really need Type 1 Fonts. Reinstalling the system is not something I can do right now.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I no longer use any Type One fonts, but if I recall correctly Adobe Type Manager needs two files. This is from Wikipedia:
Printer Font Binary (PFB) is a binary PostScript font format created by Adobe, usually carrying ".PFB" file name extension. It contains a font's glyph data.

Printer Font Metric (PFM) is a binary version of AFM, usually carrying ".PFM" file name extension. It contains font metric information.
The .notdef glyphs on the website you linked to are also found in the source code. So the website is at fault, not the font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Krystman

Post by Krystman »

notdef glyphs > Cool, one Problem less.

But the other one persists - I had all three files, of course.

Even Worse, I just found out that OpenType (OTF) Files behave the same way. :shock:
Krystman

Post by Krystman »

AHA! Problem Solved:

Start > Run > Cmd

and then type

sfc/scan

It checks if there has been changes to important Files of Windows and replaces them with original versions if necessary. It seems like it WAS necessary. Now it works! Thanks for your help anyway. I was devastated as I tought I had to reformat the system...

:lol:
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Even Worse, I just found out that OpenType (OTF) Files behave the same way.
Then Windows fails to find the required font driver from Adobe.
sfc/scan

It checks if there has been changes to important Files of Windows and replaces them with original versions if necessary. It seems like it WAS necessary. Now it works! Thanks for your help anyway. I was devastated as I tought I had to reformat the system...
I'm glad you've solved the issue, thanks for sharing. So it seems Windows failed to load the font driver from Adobe, because it was corrupt.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PepperAlf

Re: Postscript fonts laod permanently

Post by PepperAlf »

Hello,

I have the same problem, all my Type 1 fonts don't load after reboot ("Installed but not loaded").
Maybe one of the two updates that are mentioned here will help:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.ef9db1e
Does anyone still have these registry patches? The link to the Adobe forum doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for any help,
Alf
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PepperAlf

Post by PepperAlf »

Hi Erwin,

the registry patch helped. Thanks for the link!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You're welcome. And thank you for taking the time to let us know your results!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology