Determine fonts which are not in a group

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
f5r6eeman

Determine fonts which are not in a group

Post by f5r6eeman »

Hi,
One of my main desires in using a font manager is to group my fonts, typically by the application which installs them, as a start. MainType has the groups but I can't figure out any easy way to determine which fonts are not in a group. Is this possible?
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: Determine fonts which are not in a group

Post by Dave Crosby »

As you are talking about installed fonts, I'm guessing you want backups?

If that guess is correct:
Make a group folder with sub-folders labeled Adobe, etc. then copy files to the appropriate folder.

As for which ones are not in any group ... I find I have multiple copies of many fonts because the "Big Boys" all made their versions of the old standbys (less charitably, they stole from each other) so Adobe stuffs in their version, MS does the same ...

For me, sorting by Panose is far more practical for finding the style needed for some specific project, then placing directions to that font in a special project folder.

I only keep the fonts most often used in the Installed folder, everything else is on another hard drive in multiple folders.
For special projects I LOAD the fonts I want. That way they "return" to where they came from when I turn off my computer.
But then, I have over 100,000 fonts, and Dick has over 300,000.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
f5r6eeman

Re: Determine fonts which are not in a group

Post by f5r6eeman »

It's actually more along the line of determining which fonts were the result of installing some new software package.
Before the installation, suppose all fonts are in some group. After the installation, there are more fonts and the only distinguishing feature is that the new ones are not in a group. This is a function which was performed well by the defunct Adobe Type Manager Deluxe and saves a lot of picking through fonts trying to figure out where they came from. It seems like a logical thing to filter for.