Maintype 2.1.1 and Spyware Doctor *SOLVED - Kinda

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
ndustri

Maintype 2.1.1 and Spyware Doctor *SOLVED - Kinda

Post by ndustri »

Hey everyone, I have downloaded the official 2.1.1 trial of Maintype and it installs on Windows 7 RTM just fine but will not run. I have UAC off and installed as Admin as well and still nothing. I don't see a process in the background for Maintype either. Any suggestions? I do not want to buy a piece of software without seeing it run on my system. I have read about a new build? Is this for Windows 7 compatibility? I'd appreciate any assistance.

Sean
Last edited by ndustri on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Maintype 2.1.1 Trial isn't running in Windows 7

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It installs and runs just fine on my system (running Windows 7 64x).
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ndustri

Post by ndustri »

I am baffled. I have Spyware Doctor with Antivirus installed and thought that might be it, so I disabled it and reinstalled MainType, ran it and nothing... I do not get any sort of activity whatsoever. I opened my process window and no new process is even created when I try to run it. I have disabled a couple services that I didn't think I needed, maybe I'll see if one of those is the culprit.
ndustri

Post by ndustri »

I just installed the trial on an evaluation version of windows 7 build 7100 and it worked just fine. I couldn't find any services that when changed made MainType work on my retail version of windows 7.
ndustri

Post by ndustri »

Ok, I found the problem. It IS PC Tools Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus that is causing MainType to not run. At first I disabled a feature called Intelliguard which is realtime protection against bad processes, web sites, etc etc... but MainType still didn't run. Then, I added the MainType executable to the exclusions list so it would always allow that without any monitoring but still MainType wouldn't run. Today I completely shutdown and removed Spyware Doctor from having any processes running and voila, MainType started right up. So this is a problem and I'm not sure which software is at fault. MainType obviously has a problem with one of Spyware Doctor's core processes. It is a shame b/c it is really really fantastic protection software. I'm going to submit this to PC Tools as well just to see if there is something that might be causing it on there side. Anyone else running this combo? High-logic, any ideas? I'm ready to buy it if I can sort this compatibility problem out. Thanks.
ndustri

Re: Maintype 2.1.1 isn't running in Windows 7 *SOLVED - Kinda

Post by ndustri »

One step closer... I have set MainType to run from a registry startup command in HKLM which executes before Spyware Doctor starts up. In that sequence, they play nicely together. Now to just get MainType to startup and be forced to the system tray on startup and I'll have a decent workaround until one or the other programs get sorted out if ever.