Saving the fontlist permanently possible?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
danuela

Saving the fontlist permanently possible?

Post by danuela »

Houston, I have a permanent problem:
We use 3 Workingstations and one Server. On this Server we got a Font-Collection with 3000 Fonts. Everey Clients runs MainType3 on Windows 7 64 bit.
We also made a Favorite with the Folder to browse. But everytime you start MainType3 again, the Fonts will not remain in the favorite and the Proggram start again to count the whole fonts on the network-server.

Is it possible to save the Fontlist that the Prog will not load the fontlist over and over again?

We previously used Corels FontNav and there the fontlist was automatically saved.

Hope for any ideas?

Best regards

Danuela
danuela

Re: Saving the fontlist permanently possible?

Post by danuela »

Hi there - no ideas?
Perhaps I was not able to explain my problem correctly:

Again ;-)

I have about 3.000 Fonts on a network-Server. The font-list from the folder will reload with every start of the proggy. That takes some time...

Is it possible to save the list of this folder anywhere?

Thanks your your help!!

Daniel
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm sorry but I did read your post, but somehow forgot to reply :oops:

Unfortunately due to the fact the font manager is file based, it is not possible to improve it's performance.

However we are working on a database driven version of MainType that should solve this issue. The only problem with that one is... it doesn't support network drives (yet). Do let me know if you want to try the beta of MainType 4.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
danuela

Post by danuela »

Hi Erwin,

thanx for your feedback. If the Version 4 rightly supports Network Drives, I would like to try it - thank you.

If you're not further in development, we have to wait... ;-)

The actual solution for me is to "re-trash" the fontlist, kill the dublettes, etc. This time we are on a fontlist of 3000 fonts - so that's o.k. If we need a font, which is not installed on the network; I move to the network drive and start maintype there. The fontlist with the other 15000 types is loaded in 5 Minutes - so that's o.k. for now ;-)

Thanx
Daniel
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No, unfortunately it won't make it in MainType 4.0, but we will do our best to put it into MainType 4.1 that will probably be released in Q4 this year. That said, I'm convinced you will love MainType 4.0 even without network support... :wink:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
sabepoco

Post by sabepoco »

Dear All

I run a 20 year old design shop... so our collection includes more than 100,000 fonts...
That's why this issue is extremely sensitive for us. Letting MainType scan the main directory could take more than 4 hours.
Is it possible for me to test the beta version of this product?

Marcos Nieto
León Fridsma

Post by León Fridsma »

sabepoco wrote:Dear All

I run a 20 year old design shop... so our collection includes more than 100,000 fonts...
That's why this issue is extremely sensitive for us. Letting MainType scan the main directory could take more than 4 hours.

Marcos Nieto
You can try the MainType 4 Release Candidate 2 which is available at the MainType Download page. We expect the final release next Wednesday.

León
sabepoco

Post by sabepoco »

NIce!

It took almost 8 hours...
But this beta version catalogued all our fonts, detecting almost all duplicates...
Is it possible to buy - register it already?

Regards...

MNH
León Fridsma wrote:
sabepoco wrote:Dear All

Marcos Nieto
You can try the MainType 4 Release Candidate 2 which is available at the MainType Download page. We expect the final release next Wednesday.

León
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Yes, you can buy a license here:
http://www.high-logic.com/register.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology