uninstall a font

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
swayhand

uninstall a font

Post by swayhand »

Hello support:

Is it true that running uninstall a font(or move it to another folder, or delete a font) using MainType will remove the font from Windows/font ? I believe there are some fonts imperative to the system, will MainType prohibit destructive actions against these fonts?

I dare not try... :D
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: uninstall a font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See Tools, Options for the backup folder used by MainType to store uninstalled fonts.

Search with Google to find a list of fonts installed with your OS. There may be more if you have enabled fonts for Asian languages, left to right scripts, etc.

I just tested by uninstalling Franklin Gothic which I believe is a system interface font for Windows XP. MainType removed it from the Windows font folder and saved it to my uninstalled fonts folder. I then reinstalled it and it was copied back to C:\Windows\Fonts\ but not removed from the uninstalled fonts folder.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
swayhand

Post by swayhand »

thanks, Bhikkhu:
I also tested to uninstall Franklin Gothic. It worked as you described. However, if I tried the function of moving the font, it rejected.
swayhand

Post by swayhand »

I tested to uninstall Franklin Gothic, it worked as you described. The same happens to fonts such as Aharoni Bold and Algerian Regular. However, when I tested to uninstall Georgia (this is already installed under Windows/fonts), this font file remain under Windows/fonts (it didn't go away as other tested fonts did), everything else seem normal: the font is gone from MainType's Active Font List, and the backup folder has a copy of this file.

Please test and confirm my observation.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There's a list of System Fonts in the MainType Help file. Maybe you should just leave those and uninstall any others that you don't use.

I keep copies of my fonts organised outside of the Windows Fonts folder.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486