Do I understand correctly?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Canay

Do I understand correctly?

Post by Canay »

I am feeling a little dense trying to switch from MT3 to MT4 so I apologize for all my questions.

I have imported all my font folders into MT4 and have created groups based on my file folder structure. So at this point, my file folder structure and my MT4 data base mirror each other.

I'm trying to envision my workflow from this point on.

If I moved a font in windows explorer from one folder to another. Nothing will happen in MT4. Correct?
But If I update the library folder, will MT4 show the fonts in their new folders but there would be no change in the groups?

If I download a new font and put it in my grunge folder, do I just need to update the grunge folder in MT4, then I need to add it to my grunge group?

In a previous post someone mentioned using MT4 100% and not using Windows Explorer at all. But I would still need a folder to download new fonts in to. Maybe just set up a folder called New Fonts. Then I would know that these were downloads post MT3. I have always maintained a very organized folder structure and used MT3 to view the fonts within that structure. It is hard to wrap my brain around doing something different. But I can clearly see that one of the attractions of MT4 is the speed. One of the issues I see is that if I decide to move from Windows to Mac or switch font management programs (not likely but I'm just brain storming here) I will lose any work I do in the groups in MT4. Because at this point forward the group structure in MT4 will not be reflected anywhere in my file folders.

I just want to make sure my thought process is correct and plan what my new workflow with fonts will be. One would think we have more fonts than we will ever need. But I still find myself downloading new fonts quite often.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Do I understand correctly?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Canay wrote:If I moved a font in windows explorer from one folder to another. Nothing will happen in MT4. Correct?
If the font is already known by MainType then it will detect the resource is no longer available at the original file location. In such case MainType will continue to function just fine, as the font is already added to the Vault.
Canay wrote:But If I update the library folder, will MT4 show the fonts in their new folders but there would be no change in the groups?
Correct.
Canay wrote:If I download a new font and put it in my grunge folder, do I just need to update the grunge folder in MT4, then I need to add it to my grunge group?
That is one of many ways to organize your fonts.
Canay wrote:In a previous post someone mentioned using MT4 100% and not using Windows Explorer at all. But I would still need a folder to download new fonts in to. Maybe just set up a folder called New Fonts. Then I would know that these were downloads post MT3. I have always maintained a very organized folder structure and used MT3 to view the fonts within that structure. It is hard to wrap my brain around doing something different. But I can clearly see that one of the attractions of MT4 is the speed.
This is certainly one of the most important improvements. MainType 4 also allows you to easily backup and restore your font collection. And more features will be added...
Canay wrote:One of the issues I see is that if I decide to move from Windows to Mac or switch font management programs (not likely but I'm just brain storming here) I will lose any work I do in the groups in MT4. Because at this point forward the group structure in MT4 will not be reflected anywhere in my file folders.
We will continue to improve the font manager, as well as our other software products. Enhancing the export feature in already on our to-do list, so no worries about that ;-)
Canay wrote:I just want to make sure my thought process is correct and plan what my new workflow with fonts will be. One would think we have more fonts than we will ever need. But I still find myself downloading new fonts quite often.
That's good to know. We are also trying hard to make/ keep MainType the best font manager. Your feedback helps us move in the right direction.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology