New fonts added, correctly installed but something weird...

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
dsp_418

New fonts added, correctly installed but something weird...

Post by dsp_418 »

Hi,

I'm having a strange issue with Mt4, even though I think I just have to get custom to it as it clearly works differently from MT3.
I've my main folder with several sub-folders in it. Accordingly to the manual I've added this main folder to the Font Folders, then right click on it and create a group from path. So far no prob. I can now view all the fonts installed - and by the way, how fast is it now??? wow!!! kudos! - install, uninstall, etc. And I'm getting used to the thing that I'm not creating any groups in MT anymore, but just activating or deactivating the fonts. Since it's so fast I find this new method really handy.

The only weird behavior I still don't understand happens if I add some new sub-folders to the main folder on my disk. At that point I refresh the font folders (I can see the progress bar). But then, if I browse the groups I only see the folders as MT4 added the first time that I added the folders to it. I don't see the new sub-folders. But yes, I can still activate the new fonts. In fact, doing a quick search I can find the new fonts and I can install them.
The weird thing is that if I click on one of the font that's part of the main group I added the very first time, then I can read the path (Font Information / Categorization / Groups). I cannot see the path for the new fonts.
Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: New fonts added, correctly installed but something weird

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try Tools, Font Folders, Add.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Groups are not connected to the file system, so this doesn't work.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dsp_418

Post by dsp_418 »

So, if I add new fonts to the folders MT4 doesn't automatically see it in the groups? I've to manually add the new folders to the Font Folders? this sounds strange to me...
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Correct. You will need to add fonts to groups within MainType.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dsp_418

Post by dsp_418 »

The behavior looks confusing to me. I could see I should add the folders if these wouldn't be part of the same path, but then why MT4 can see the fonts either way but they don't show up in the group?
This is the structure:

MAIN FOLDER
-- Folder A
-- Folder B
-- Folder C

And then I added Folder D, under the same group/folder MAIN FOLDER.
Then I found out that MT4 can still see the fonts and correctly install them (but I've to search the fonts), but it doesn't update the structure like this:

MAIN FOLDER
-- Folder A
-- Folder B
-- Folder C
-- Folder D

It seems that it does the job but only part of it. Then I'm wondering what's the purpose of the command Refresh Font Folders. Wouldn't better if the Refresh command would also update the group structure?