Windows keeps reactivating fonts?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
w05

Windows keeps reactivating fonts?

Post by w05 »

I have a recurring problem where fonts that I have uninstalled show up again a week or two later.

They are all OpenType TT fonts. Examples are Berlin Sans FB, Brush Script MT Italic, Chiller. I think they may be default Windows or Microsoft Office fonts.

I highlight them in my "active" MainType tab, and then I uninstall them. I have verified that they are removed from c:\Windows\Fonts and moved to a backup folder c:\Users\Me\Documents\My Fonts.

Everything will be fine and dandy for a couple of weeks. I can restart my computer and the fonts are still inactive. But then one day, seemingly at random, they will show up again in my active font list and clutter up my font menus in Word and other programs.

I'm using MainType 2.1, Windows 7, Office 2010. My theory is that Windows keeps reinstalling these fonts everytime my computer gets an automatic update.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose this and hopefully find a solution? Thanks for the help.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Windows keeps reactivating fonts?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have never noticed this problem on Windows XP.

If it is Windows 7 doing this, then I guess you will have to learn to live with it. I don't imagine that its that many fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: Windows keeps reactivating fonts?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

w05 wrote:They are all OpenType TT fonts. Examples are Berlin Sans FB, Brush Script MT Italic, Chiller. I think they may be default Windows or Microsoft Office fonts.
These fonts are indeed included with Office 2010.

You better ask Microsoft, but I do remember years ago when I started Word, it did automatically reinstall several fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology