MainType 6.0 folder sync - fonts not removed from database

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
cerulean

MainType 6.0 folder sync - fonts not removed from database

Post by cerulean »

I recently upgraded to MainType 6.0 because I thought the "Keep in sync" option was going to be a solution to my problem of keeping the fonts in the MainType database synchronised with my font library folders. But it seems it's not to be.

Consider this scenario: I have a folder "Helvetica" in my organised collection of font folders on my hard disc. Inside are 16 font files, v2.0 from the foundry. I get updated files from the foundry, now v3.0. I want these updated font files in MainType instead of the older v2.0 versions. So I delete the v2.0 files from the "Helvetica" folder, add the v3.0 files and do a "Refresh Folder" in MainType. So now I should have the v3.0 files in MainType, and not the v2.0 files, right? Wrong. Because if I search for "Helvetica" I now see 32 fonts - the v3.0 files and the v2.0 files. The old v2.0 files are still in the MainType database, and it's now difficult to tell them apart from the v3.0 files.

My question is, if the "Keep in sync" option is meant to synchronise MainType with folders on the hard disc, why are fonts not removed from the MainType database when they are deleted from the disc? I want to be able to maintain my library in folders on my disc and then import the folders into MainType and have everything synchronised. I don't want to have to hunt through for old versions of fonts and delete them one by one from the database.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: MainType 6.0 folder sync - fonts not removed from databa

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I develop my own fonts, so I always remove the old versions from all known file locations using MainType

Removing Fonts

Deleting fonts from a group won't have any affect on the fonts that have been added to MainType's database. If you add fonts to MainType from an external drive, and remove the drive, the fonts will still be available to install.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There are several ways to make this work, but this is how I would do it:

1) Copy the new font files to the specific folder on your hard drive.
2) Then within MainType, select the corresponding sync folder in the groups pane.
3) Within the font view, select the fonts you want to remove, and click the delete button ()
- In your case you most likely want to select the "Remove font(s) from MainType and delete from all known file system locations"
4) Finally let MainType known about the new fonts, by right-clicking the group in the groups panel, and select refresh.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like Erwin's suggestion will work, but it's still a real annoyance if you are updating multiple folders - you have to remember which folders are changed and manually perform the deletions in MainType. I think the removal of fonts should be taken care of automatically by the "Synch" command. If you use the word "synchronise" then the expectation is that the folder and the MainType database are put in a matching state: fonts added to the folder are added to Maintype, fonts removed from the folder are removed from MainType. Perhaps you'll consider changing to this behaviour in the next update.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

FWIW, I fully agree about how fonts are removed and/or added. I had hoped this new version made changes in this regard.

The present system is fine for those both use to it and/or are of a tinker's mindset. I am not. When I am updating the fonts I work on, it is a pita. But even when I receive updated foundry fonts I dislike needing to delete the previous versions. (That aside from dealing with the ever growing Ignore list still.)

Even with those couple warts, I still far prefer MT to the competition--even though some of the features found elsewhere are kinda nice.

Mike
Fred Goldman

Re: MainType 6.0 folder sync - fonts not removed from database

Post by Fred Goldman »

This has actually been a real dilemma for me. I recommended the company I work for buy licenses for MainType because I thought this was possible with MainType. At our company we had trouble with making sure everyone had the same font versions. The solution was to put the fonts in once centralized folder on the network. I thought that when I update those fonts on the network folder and then each individual user refreshes that folder all the fonts would update. I see that is not happening. Does anyone have a good workflow for me how I can get this working? I would to be able to update fonts on the network folders and have all users' fonts get updated easily.
Fred
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Fred Goldman wrote:I thought that when I update those fonts on the network folder and then each individual user refreshes that folder all the fonts would update. I see that is not happening.
It should work. The specific sync folder should show all fonts as available within that specific location.

I can only find proof of a single user license; so I wonder if your company did buy additional copies?

If you feel MainType doesn't suit your needs, you might consider FontExplorer X Server; a 10 user license costs $1599.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

cerulean wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like Erwin's suggestion will work, but it's still a real annoyance if you are updating multiple folders - you have to remember which folders are changed and manually perform the deletions in MainType. I think the removal of fonts should be taken care of automatically by the "Synch" command. If you use the word "synchronise" then the expectation is that the folder and the MainType database are put in a matching state: fonts added to the folder are added to Maintype, fonts removed from the folder are removed from MainType. Perhaps you'll consider changing to this behaviour in the next update.
Unless I miss something, your suggested solution would make things worse in case one gets disconnected from the network. A network issue within your company or when someone is working at home/abroad and isn't connected to the Internet would completely remove all fonts.

The way MainType works right now, is the best of both worlds, as you can see all fonts even when the original file location is unavailable. And you can browse through the specific network folder and use those fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

Hi Erwin,
Please don't be offended I love your software. I have been using MainType and FontCreator for years now. I recommended it to my company because of how good it is. Rarely is there a bug, an amazing feat considering how complex the software is. It really is my fault because I didn't research it enough. I should have tried it out first.
However, like others have mentioned what threw me off was the word sync. Sync usually means it analyzes fonts that are in the vault and then the source and synchronizes them so that fonts that are deleted get deleted, updated are updated, and added are added. If I understand correctly here you only meant the added are added.
I fully agree the idea of the vault is the best of both worlds. I definitely do not want the fonts only residing on the network. I am just asking for better management of the relationship between the source and the vault. You mentioned if the network is down, in that case the sync should fail because the "source" is missing and nothing should happen. Maybe you will considering adding this functionality in a future version.
Regarding licenses I pay for my own licenses so I only have a single license. However my company is bought through (his initials are Y.S. and he just bought a whole bunch of licenses or so he told me. I don't want to put his name down without his permission.) He bought these licenses soley on my recommendation.
For the employees there managing fonts is not for them. They are looking the "just works" Apple type of program where there is no tinkering. I thought this was the perfect solution, but as I said I was at fault for not making sure. Nevertheless, you always listen so it doesn't keep me back from making the suggestion :).
Fred
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I know you are a loyal customer, and I'm glad to know you appreciate our software.

We continue to welcome your suggestions and other feedback, so no worries.

The sync feature should only show fonts that are actually within the folder, so the deleted/moved fonts should no longer be available. If you see other behavior, please ensure you are running the latest version of MainType, and provide some screenshots that clarify the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

Yes but they are still installed and active. It would be nice if it would uninstall, delete missing fonts and more importantly when a font is updated it would uninstall and delete the old version and then install the newer version.
Fred
cpking

Post by cpking »

I don't know what code would be necessary for this to be done, but perhaps there could be an option presented after folder sync highlighting older versions.

I fear I have made a mess of my library as I have been "deleting" older versions of fonts and, based on what I'm reading here, believe I'm not really deleting anything. I am quite certain I have duplicates, both in name and in version, so I'm trying to clean them up.