Add new collection

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
linkot

Add new collection

Post by linkot »

My old PC had v4.5 and somehow my font collections became confusing and integrated.

I'm starting fresh with v6 on Win10. The "ACTIVE FONTS" have been loaded and now I would like to transfer a folder with fonts from a portable backup. What are the steps to keep this collection separate and not installed. I intend to just load a couple at a time, as needed.

Right after I downloaded and installed v.6 I got a Font registry issue notice ... I clicked "repair" twice now, keeps popping up!?
Name: Generic - Path: C\Program Files (x86)Common Giles\Adobe\SING\MarkII\Generic.otf
Error: Installed but not loaded - Info/Solution: Remove from registry Found: 28-04-2016

Thanks,
LinK
Erwin Denissen

Re: Add new collection

Post by Erwin Denissen »

linkot wrote:I'm starting fresh with v6 on Win10. The "ACTIVE FONTS" have been loaded and now I would like to transfer a folder with fonts from a portable backup. What are the steps to keep this collection separate and not installed. I intend to just load a couple at a time, as needed.
Select Font Folders from the Tools menu. From there, Add the specific root folder. Ensure you have selected "Index recursively", and optionally include "Create groups after indexing", just don't select "Keep in sync".

Let us know your results.
linkot wrote:Right after I downloaded and installed v.6 I got a Font registry issue notice ... I clicked "repair" twice now, keeps popping up!?
Name: Generic - Path: C\Program Files (x86)Common Giles\Adobe\SING\MarkII\Generic.otf
Error: Installed but not loaded - Info/Solution: Remove from registry Found: 28-04-2016
I'm not sure, but I suspect it is a corrupt font, and Adobe continues to try and install it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
linkot

Post by linkot »

Please excuse the forum posting along with the email support request. I didn't realize how well the forum was monitored. Thank you for such a fast reply.

Thank you for the path to font folders, I'm presently adding my first font collection! It wasn't clear to me in the PDF Manual ... I was going to drag/drop onto "Groups!"

I'm happy to know that the registry error might pertain more to a corrupt font than the registry itself on this new PC.

Is there a maximum number of fonts High-Logic MainType can handle that I should be aware of?

Thank you for helping me.
LinK
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

linkot wrote:Is there a maximum number of fonts High-Logic MainType can handle that I should be aware of?
Our font manager is the only one that can actually handle a serious font library!

But in the end it depends on your hardware. In general MainType can easily handle over 100K of fonts. Some customers have over 250.000 fonts in their library and all runs smoothly on their end :wink:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
linkot

Post by linkot »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
linkot wrote:Is there a maximum number of fonts High-Logic MainType can handle that I should be aware of?
Our font manager is the only one that can actually handle a serious font library!

But in the end it depends on your hardware. In general MainType can easily handle over 50K of fonts. Some customers have over 250.000 fonts in there library and all runs smoothly on their end :wink:
That indeed would qualify as a "serious font library!"

If I may, what are your thoughts on how many fonts can be "installed" without consequences?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Font selection within your desktop publishing applications might become slower with too many fonts. It is probably also a lot more difficult to choose the right one(s).

But nowadays 1000 or even 2000 shouldn't be an issue.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
linkot

Post by linkot »

Valuable information, thank you! I have 358 Active Fonts (came installed, all except one). Now I can rest assured that I won't overload the system :D
★★★★★ Support, for sure! Thank you!
linkot

Post by linkot »

Let us know your results.
High-Logic successfully placed all my fonts in MainType. Is there a way to see the log? The readout indicated "97 Invalid Fonts" and I would like to find them and delete.

Now that I can easily see my collection, I see duplicates, is it safe to just delete them from MainType? I uploaded from a portable backup so the fonts are not actually installed on my computer (other than in MainType). Would I select, "Remove font(s) from MainType. MainType will also keep ignoring the font(s)"?

:?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

linkot wrote:High-Logic successfully placed all my fonts in MainType. Is there a way to see the log? The readout indicated "97 Invalid Fonts" and I would like to find them and delete.
There is no log, but select Invalid Font Resources from the Tools menu to view and delete the invalid fonts.
linkot wrote:Now that I can easily see my collection, I see duplicates, is it safe to just delete them from MainType? I uploaded from a portable backup so the fonts are not actually installed on my computer (other than in MainType). Would I select, "Remove font(s) from MainType. MainType will also keep ignoring the font(s)"?
Yes, that is what I would suggest.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
linkot

Post by linkot »

linkot wrote: Now that I can easily see my collection, I see duplicates, is it safe to just delete them from MainType? I uploaded from a portable backup so the fonts are not actually installed on my computer (other than in MainType). Would I select, "Remove font(s) from MainType. MainType will also keep ignoring the font(s)"?
Erwin Denissen wrote: Yes, that is what I would suggest.
Thanks ... I think I'm ready to settle in now and enjoy MainType. Thanks again for all of your help.

Just curious ... is there an option when adding new fonts to the collection to not duplicate automatically?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You will never get duplicates, just fonts with the same name if that is what you meant.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
linkot

Post by linkot »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
linkot wrote:High-Logic successfully placed all my fonts in MainType. Is there a way to see the log? The readout indicated "97 Invalid Fonts" and I would like to find them and delete.
There is no log, but select Invalid Font Resources from the Tools menu to view and delete the invalid fonts.
Under "Invalid Font Resources," I selected "Delete All." The Font Operation Status window appears and I select "Clear" but nothing happens. I closed MainType and reopened, tried again and the fonts remain in Invalid Font Resources?
linkot

Post by linkot »

linkot wrote:
Erwin Denissen wrote:
Under "Invalid Font Resources," I selected "Delete All." The Font Operation Status window appears and I select "Clear" but nothing happens. I closed MainType and reopened, tried again and the fonts remain in Invalid Font Resources?
I noticed an additional message under Font Operation Status ... Reason: Delete failed (for all).
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Strange. What is the file location of those resources?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
linkot

Post by linkot »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Strange. What is the file location of those resources?
I "think" I'm getting a better understanding ... the files are on Seagate Backup, which is not plugged in (USB) and open. Do I need to open the portable backup and somehow point to it within MainType?