Any way to hide System fonts?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Yomonede

Any way to hide System fonts?

Post by Yomonede »

I'd prefer not to even see the System fonts in MainType... makes it confusing when I go into the "Active Fonts" section and can't tell which are ones I activated or which ones are just part of the OS.

Thanks

I'm on MT 7.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Any way to hide System fonts?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What I would do is select the Active Fonts list and rate all of the System Fonts with 5 stars. You could also create a tag for them.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Yomonede

Post by Yomonede »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:What I would do is select the Active Fonts list and rate all of the System Fonts with 5 stars. You could also create a tag for them.
Thanks for the reply. Question, though... that wouldn't remove them from the Active Fonts section by doing that, would it? Ideally I just want to be able to have a View that will show only activated fonts that I activated and doesn't include System fonts
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

If you tag the System fonts, you can do a 'red ball' Tag Search for fonts that don't have that tag applied.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Yomonede

Post by Yomonede »

Alfred wrote:If you tag the System fonts, you can do a 'red ball' Tag Search for fonts that don't have that tag applied.
Is it possible to make a Custom View that has only fonts I activated? Doesn't seem like there is in the Custom View option
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Custom Views are available only in the Pro Edition.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Yomonede

Post by Yomonede »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Custom Views are available only in the Pro Edition.
I'm on MainType Professional 7, there's no options in the Custom View for "Show only enabled" or anything to that effect
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (26.03 KiB) Viewed 8691 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Such feature sounds interesting, but I wonder what fonts you consider being system fonts?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Yomonede

Post by Yomonede »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Such feature sounds interesting, but I wonder what fonts you consider being system fonts?
All of the 302 fonts in Active Fonts are "System" fonts... fonts that are active from the OS Fonts folder but aren't in the one and only "Fonts" folder that I added to MainType myself to scan. I'd rather not even see those 300+ fonts showing in Active Fonts because if they're active by the operating system, I don't care, I'm only concerned with the fonts in the font folders I add to MainType
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (126.78 KiB) Viewed 8685 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yomonede wrote:All of the 302 fonts in Active Fonts are "System" fonts
Just as well Erwin asked. These are listed as System fonts in the MainType Manual
Arial Calibri Cambria Consolas Courier New Georgia Marlett Segoe UI Segoe UI Symbol Tahoma Times New Roman and Verdana.
If you select the Active Fonts view, then rate them all, the other fonts will be listed in the Unrated fonts view. Or, you could tag your (currently) Active fonts as "System" fonts or "Default" fonts would be more accurate.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Windows 10 comes with less than 200 fonts preinstalled, so your definition of system fonts is not how I would see it.

Basically you want a view where you can see all fonts installed through MainType, right?

If that is true, then we might be able to add such enhancements, but right now the suggestions about tagging or rating those fonts would also help.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Yomonede

Post by Yomonede »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Windows 10 comes with less than 200 fonts preinstalled, so your definition of system fonts is not how I would see it.

Basically you want a view where you can see all fonts installed through MainType, right?

If that is true, then we might be able to add such enhancements, but right now the suggestions about tagging or rating those fonts would also help.
Well, it's most likely some of those fonts are there because of things like the Adobe Suite installed, etc... bottom line is, those are fonts I did not specify to be added to MainType, which is what I'm trying to avoid... I want to only see fonts I specifically added via choosing my own font folder. It would be super awesome if you did add that feature in a future release... until then, I'll do the tagging method.

Thanks for the reply
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've just released a minor update, which should help as the View now supports Installed and Loaded criteria.
Active non-system Fonts.png
Active non-system Fonts.png (72.36 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
To make this work, do Tag all your system/Windows fonts with the "Windows" tag, or whatever name suits you.

Then use -Windows (don't forget to include the minus sign), so all fonts that contain that Tag are excluded.

To get the release, select Help -> Check for Updates.

Let us know your results!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Yomonede

Post by Yomonede »

Wow! Excellent... super impressed how responsive you guys were on implementing that. Thank you so much. I'm going to try it out, but I'm certain the way you explained is exactly the functionality I was looking for!
Yomonede

Post by Yomonede »

Okay... works GREAT except it only recognizes fonts loaded using the "Install" and not the "Load"... not a huge deal because I can choose "Install" when loading fonts instead of "Load"... I'm not even entirely sure what the difference is, I'm guessing Install copies them to the System Fonts folder? I'll check out the help file and see.