font auto activation

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
signaramakew

font auto activation

Post by signaramakew »

Extensis has font auto activation. that works with all adobe programs. When is this going to be Available?
Erwin Denissen

Re: font auto activation

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We do consider adding a plugin for Adobe Illustrator, but only if we see enough interest for it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
signaramakew

Post by signaramakew »

Are you Crazy? why do you think people use extensis suitcase /Suitcase Fusion 7 It has better options for designers..... the only problem is its not 100% stable and crashes a lot.

Suitcase Fusion is developed and tested to support your professional workflow. Adobe Creative Cloud 2015 and QuarkXPress 2016, we have you covered. Photoshop, indesign, Illustrator after effects
Plus it has Auto-activate fonts for professional design applications.

Who is MAIN TYPE'S target market the home user or Designers?

If it is Designers. you are a long way behind..... I'm thinking for going back to Extensis.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I consider myself fortunate not to use any Adobe applications. In LibreOffice or Serif Applications, font auto activation works without any plugins being needed.

The fault lies with Adobe applications. That's not to say that MainType should not support them, but it's already a better alternative to a font manager that crashes constantly. All you have to do, after all, is close and reopen Illustrator after installing the required fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I consider myself fortunate not to use any Adobe applications. In LibreOffice or Serif Applications, font auto activation works without any plugins being needed.
On a quick test just now, it worked for me in LibreOffice Writer and Serif PagePlus, but not in Serif DrawPlus or Affinity Designer.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

All you have to do, after all, is close and reopen Illustrator after installing the required fonts.
Well, actually, no. Most applications even if started will see the fonts once activated and work properly.

Your choice of applications more or less prove the rhetorical point the OP was making--those are not applications most any professional would be using.
signaramakew

Post by signaramakew »

SORRY but you can not compare LibreOffice to any adobe software......
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

signaramakew wrote:SORRY but you can not compare LibreOffice to any adobe software......
If Adobe applications are so good surely they can check to see if any new fonts have been installed since they were started up? In my opinion, this should be pretty much standard for all Windows applications and should not need a plugin to force the application to do what it should be doing already. Even a freeware application like Notepad2 can detect newly installed fonts without restarting — it's enough to reopen the Default font dialogue.

Nevertheless, since MainType aims to attract Professional users, it should support them if enough users request it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The font activation plugins are in fact very powerful plugins.

On opening an Adobe InDesign document, the plugin will notice which fonts are used in the document, and will then activate all fonts that are currently not installed/loaded.

It depends on your workflow if you find this useful. Some people prefer to make project groups in MainType, and install fonts in such group whenever they need them. Other people prefer to let the font manager take care of this, and rely on the font activation plugin.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Alfred wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I consider myself fortunate not to use any Adobe applications. In LibreOffice or Serif Applications, font auto activation works without any plugins being needed.
On a quick test just now, it worked for me in LibreOffice Writer and Serif PagePlus, but not in Serif DrawPlus or Affinity Designer.
I've since learned that Affinity Designer merely requires the user to visit the 'Miscellaneous' page in the Preferences dialog and click on 'Reset Fonts'.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Alfred wrote:I've since learned that Affinity Designer merely requires the user to visit the 'Miscellaneous' page in the Preferences dialog and click on 'Reset Fonts'.
Which does not work for me...and it shouldn't be necessary in the first place because it is an extra step. That AD is not polling nor seeing Windows' application notification system for added/removed fonts is silly.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

MikeW wrote:
Alfred wrote:I've since learned that Affinity Designer merely requires the user to visit the 'Miscellaneous' page in the Preferences dialog and click on 'Reset Fonts'.
Which does not work for me...and it shouldn't be necessary in the first place because it is an extra step. That AD is not polling nor seeing Windows' application notification system for added/removed fonts is silly.
What can I say, Mike? It worked for me when I tried it. However, I agree that it shouldn't be necessary in the first place.