MainType 7 on Two PCs?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Stitch-Up Creative

MainType 7 on Two PCs?

Post by Stitch-Up Creative »

Hi guys

I've spent a little while researching font managers and which to use/buy.

At present it's a 'toss-up' between MainType 7 Pro and a free, open source development.

One of my requirements is to be able to install the software on two PCs - one in my home and other in my shop. Of course, the opensource product allows me to do that.

Do I have to purchase two licences @ $79 each or is there another option? I don't want to spend $158 on two licences!

Many thanks

John
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: MainType 7 on Two PCs?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Will you be working from home or is that PC for non-commercial use?

Comparison Chart
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Stitch-Up Creative

Thanks for the reply. That was quick :)

We do a bit of t-shirt printing and I just need a way to manage the 100's of fonts we have - they are all over the hard drive and I tend to forget I even have them!

I produce the occasional Hen & Stag shirt and sometimes shirts for birthdays etc. 95% of the designing will be done on my home PC.

Regards

John
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

I go with Main Type every time. It does SO MUCH MORE!
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Stitch-Up Creative

Thanks for the replies.

It's not to easy finding up to date independent reviews of font management software so it's good to hear from users.

I read the licence agreement - I never find that sort of stuff 'comfortable bedtime reading' :)

A couple of points I'd like some clarification on:

1. Is the payment for a licence a 'one off' for the lifetime of use or renewable annually?
2. It seems it's okay for me to install the software on my main PC as well as my laptop providing it's only used on one at any time. Is this correct?
3. As tho product is improved e.g. present version 7 next version 8 - will it cost to upgrade, if so, when? I wouldn't want to buy version 7 only to discover next month that version 8 is out and I have to pay more!

Thanks again.

John
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. One-off payment. A few users may still be happily using MainType 4 or earlier.
  2. From the EULA: “The primary user of the computer on which each licensed copy of the SOFTWARE is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable computer.”
  3. Release History: New improved versions are brought out every year or two. MainType 7 has not been out for long. Upgrading is optional if you want those improved features. Interim updates (with the same major revision number) are released to fix bugs, and sometimes improved features. These are free.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Stitch-Up Creative

Thanks for the reply.

I was satisfied to purchase the software but when making payment the price had inflated to just below $100!

Not your fault but I'm afraid the addition of 20% is just to much.

Thanks to all for the comments and advice.

Regards

John
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Stitch-Up Creative wrote:I was satisfied to purchase the software but when making payment the price had inflated to just below $100!

Not your fault but I'm afraid the addition of 20% is just to much.
Something has obviously gone wrong. The New licenses page says "Specials run until September 18, 2016" (i.e. tomorrow) so the price reduction from US$99.00 to US$79.00 should still apply.
Stitch-Up Creative

I'm sure the discount still applies but it was the addition of 20% tax that killed it for me.

Thanks again for all the help and advice :)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Stitch-Up Creative wrote:I'm sure the discount still applies but it was the addition of 20% tax that killed it for me.

Thanks again for all the help and advice :)
People who buy software from us for personal use and reside in Europe have to pay VAT according to the VAT rate from their country. If I'm correct several other countries and some specific states in the US also demand some kind of tax. We don't know if people buy as a business, and from which country, so it is next to impossible to present a correct price where tax is included. And even if we could, tax regulations and tax rates continuously change, so it would be a hassle to stay up to date. That is why we and most other companies show pricing without VAT.

Feel free to buy the standard edition or use the free edition.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Stitch-Up Creative wrote:I'm sure the discount still applies but it was the addition of 20% tax that killed it for me.
I understand now. I was wrong-footed by your reference to "just below $100", which I took to mean the normal price of $99. That would, of course, have been an addition of 25%, not 20%. Don't blame High-Logic BV, blame the eurocrats!

I come up against this all the time. I see a price quoted in USD and think it's a lot less in GBP, but with the exchange rate being so poor these days it isn't really much less, and by the time you add on VAT you're almost back to the numbers you started with.
Stitch-Up Creative

20 - 25%, all the same to me as either kills the deal for me!

It's strange how some 'payment systems' automatically add the 20% and others don't!

Yes, the exchange rate has moved against us lately, nothing's physically changed in our economies but the devious market makers in their wisdom decided to screw us anyway.

Thanks

John