Evaluating MainType 7 before upgrading and how to install?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
suechastain

Evaluating MainType 7 before upgrading and how to install?

Post by suechastain »

Hello,
I purchased MT6 Pro earlier this year and now I see a version 7 is out. Can I install 7 without losing my layout, tags, groups, etc.? Will I still have access to more than 10,000 fonts? Basically, I would like to know the proper procedure for installing the new version so I can test it before paying the upgrade fee.

Sue
Erwin Denissen

Re: Evaluating MainType 7 before upgrading and how to install?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is no easy way to test it.

First of all you should make a backup of your current MainType data through the FmsConfig ut8ility. It is accessible through the main menu of MainType. Just select Tools and then click Create and Restore Backups.
maintypebackup.png
maintypebackup.png (46.64 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
Within the Font Management Service Configuration Utility (FmsConfig) first stop the service, then go to the Backup & Restore tab to create the backup.

No you can install version 7, but since you have more then 10K fonts, you will need to delete fonts from MainType 7 in order to try it.

If you then decide to revert back to version 6, first fully uninstall MainType. Then download and install version 6. Finally go back to the FmsConfig utility and restore the previously made backup, start the service and start MainType.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
suechastain

Post by suechastain »

Thanks. I may just test 7 on a different computer. So then if I decide to upgrade my main computer, will a licensed 7 install over 6? Or will I have to set everything up again?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No worries, that will work.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
suechastain

Post by suechastain »

Thank you!