Moving Fonts to Different Folders

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
theaftermath

Moving Fonts to Different Folders

Post by theaftermath »

I've only been playing with MainType for a few hours and the first thing I was trying to do was organize. I have tried syncing the root folder and working from explorer but the font files don't copy into the new folder nor do they delete for me.

I have over 100k fonts in about 50 sub folders. Many of these sub folders have fonts in them that need to be moved to another sub folder. I want to actually move them so my file system/font folder is organized. Is this not doable through MainType?

Using Windows file explorer for this would be a nightmare!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Moving Fonts to Different Folders

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MainType is designed so that you don't need to move the font files to different folders.

It's just one database of all fonts on your system. When you first launch MainType it can build groups from the existing folder structure, but after that, fonts can be moved to other groups, or included in several different groups.

Groups are just filters on the database.

Now that you have installed MainType you can stop wasting your time organising your 100K fonts using Windows Explorer. Wherever they are, if MainType has been told to include that folder, it can find them to inspect, install, uninstall, or delete them. I don't keep any of my folders in sync as I frequently delete fonts and add newer versions that I have edited and exported from FontCreator. If you want to delete fonts, then don't keep them in sync, as it says in the Help File:-

Keep MainType Groups in sync with your File System

If you want to keep a specific folder in sync with MainType, do select the "Keep in Sync" option. Keep in sync groups are special groups that represent a folder structure on the file system. These types of groups can't be moved, deleted or renamed from within MainType. To perform these types of operation use your File Explorer and synchronize the root folder in MainType. Adding fonts to such groups will actually copy them into the corresponding folder on your computer.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486