MainType 6.0 Installation Error

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
ChrisW828

MainType 6.0 Installation Error

Post by ChrisW828 »

I want to keep using MainType 6 because I can't afford an upgrade right now. I accidentally installed MainType 7, uninstalled it, and installed MainType 6. I get an error when I try to run it now, though: Handshake error: Client protocol version is too low. Make sure you are starting the correct version.

What must I uninstall or clean out to fix this problem?

TIA
Erwin Denissen

Re: MainType 6.0 Installation Error

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It can be done, but since older versions don't overwrite all more recent components (we try to move forward), it needs to be done with care.

Please be aware the MainType database is upgraded to support MainType 7. This can't be reverted to an older version, so you will loose all your font libraries, groups, tags, settings, etc. You can of course restore a backup if you did make a version 6 backup through FmsConfig.

To get up and running with a clean previous version of MainType, you need to fully uninstall MainType 7 through Windows regular uninstall feature.

In Windows 10 open the Settings menu (Start -> Settings) and go to System and then click Apps & features. Here is the Dutch version:
uninstallapps.png
uninstallapps.png (41.14 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Then remove MainType 7. You will need to fully remove it,
uninstallmt.png
uninstallmt.png (4.79 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
And also let it remove the database, vault, and cache files.
uninstallmtfull.png
uninstallmtfull.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
It is possible Windows still thinks one or more DLLs are in use, so you have to delete those manually:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hlfontlib.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\High-Logic FontService\sqlite3.dll

Finally install your older copy of MainType.

Note: If for some reason you didn't follow the above steps, then it might be best to first reinstall version 7, and then start all over with the above explained reinstall process.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ChrisW828

Post by ChrisW828 »

Thank you for the quick response, as always. I am juggling a few things, so have been trying these in between.

Unfortunately, it didn't work.

When I deleted the second DLL, these two files still remained. Could I possibly need to delete them, too?
MT Files 170304.png
MT Files 170304.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Thank you.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Did you reinstall version 7 as mentioned as last resort solution?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ChrisW828

Post by ChrisW828 »

I did.

I reinstalled 7. Did a FULL uninstall. Deleted the DLLs. Then a friend ran CCleaner for other reasons, so it was run.

I'm giving up and just purchasing 7.0. Not great timing financially, but it's one of my favorite programs, so well worth the money. :)

Thank you for trying to help!