Fonts not available in Adobe Experience Design CC (Beta)

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
wgrt
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Fonts not available in Adobe Experience Design CC (Beta)

Postby wgrt » Mon May 01, 2017 5:58 pm

I have started using Adobe XD for prototyping some time ago. It is a great piece of software, though still in development. But one big problem I experience is the fact that fonts I install using MainType are not showing up in XD's font menu. I can only use Windows 10 system fonts or fonts I installed using Windows's default font installation method (right-clicking the font in File Explorer and clicking 'install').

Other Adobe CC Applications, including Ai, Ps, and Id, don't have these issues. Restarting the application does not solve the problem.

Some data about my system:
- ASUS VivoBook laptop, Intel Core i5-6200U processor, 8GB RAM
- 64-bit Windows 10 (Creators Update, but before the update it didn't work either)
- XD version: 0.6.24.10
- MainType version: 7.0 Free Edition

Do I miss something, perhaps a setting that I put wrong?

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer
Posts: 6828
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:28 am
Location: Seven Kings, London UK
Contact:

Re: Fonts not available in Adobe Experience Design CC (Beta)

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon May 01, 2017 6:03 pm

According to the feature comparison table Font activation plugins are not available in the Free Edition or the Standard Edition, only in the Professional Edition.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC11.0 Pro + MT7.0 @ Win10 1703

Erwin Denissen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6588
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:41 am
Location: De Bilt, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Fonts not available in Adobe Experience Design CC (Beta)

Postby Erwin Denissen » Mon May 01, 2017 6:18 pm

wgrt wrote:I have started using Adobe XD for prototyping some time ago. It is a great piece of software, though still in development. But one big problem I experience is the fact that fonts I install using MainType are not showing up in XD's font menu. I can only use Windows 10 system fonts or fonts I installed using Windows's default font installation method (right-clicking the font in File Explorer and clicking 'install').

This is new to us. Have you filed a bug report with them?

wgrt wrote:Other Adobe CC Applications, including Ai, Ps, and Id, don't have these issues. Restarting the application does not solve the problem.

Some data about my system:
- ASUS VivoBook laptop, Intel Core i5-6200U processor, 8GB RAM
- 64-bit Windows 10 (Creators Update, but before the update it didn't work either)
- XD version: 0.6.24.10
- MainType version: 7.0 Free Edition

Do I miss something, perhaps a setting that I put wrong?

No, it should work unless Microsoft has introduced a new way of installing fonts which we aren't aware of.

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:According to the feature comparison table Font activation plugins are not available in the Free Edition or the Standard Edition, only in the Professional Edition.

The automatic font activation plugins will only try to activate fonts that are missing from a document that is being opened with Adobe software. It is by no means a replacement for the way fonts are managed (loaded, installed, and uninstalled) through the user interface of MainType.

Fonts installed through MainType should become available to other software. If you have software that fails to recognize newly installed fonts, then it might be best to contact that software company.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology

wgrt
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Fonts not available in Adobe Experience Design CC (Beta)

Postby wgrt » Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks for your reply. I reported the bug on the Adobe XD Community forum, but that has not yet resulted in a solution.

They asked me where MainType stores the fonts it installs. I could not find an answer to that. The fonts installed by MainType appear in the Fonts overview of the Control Panel, but if I run a dir command on the C:\Windows\Fonts folder, they are not showing up. I only see the system fonts and the fonts I installed using Windows's default installation method. So it seems MainType installs them somewhere else, or creates an alias or something? I am a total noob when it comes to these things ;) So where does MainType store the fonts it installs?

Could the problem be caused by the fact that XD is a Windows Universal App, as opposed to Ai, Ps and Id, which are Desktop apps?

wgrt
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Fonts not available in Adobe Experience Design CC (Beta)

Postby wgrt » Wed May 03, 2017 7:49 am

UPDATE: ISSUE SEEMS SOLVED

After updating MainType, I installed one random font using MainType and suddenly it did appear in the XD font menu. So I uninstalled all of my fonts and then reinstalled them. Now they all appeared in the XD font menu! So I rebooted the pc, and after that they were still there. Running a dir command on the C:\Windows\Fonts folder now also results in a comprehensive list of all installed fonts, not only system fonts.

I don't understand why this happens, perhaps due to the MainType update? - but I am happy the problem seems to be solved :D

Erwin Denissen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6588
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:41 am
Location: De Bilt, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Fonts not available in Adobe Experience Design CC (Beta)

Postby Erwin Denissen » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 am

I was just going to post about ensuring you are using the latest version, as the latest version from last month forces to install fonts in windows fonts folder. Even though this is not a requirement fro Windows, it seems to work best with other software, which you just confirmed.

Enjoy the software.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology


Return to “MainType - Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests