Confused - Delete Font From Directories

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Butch66

Confused - Delete Font From Directories

Post by Butch66 »

I am still confused over font deletion of the same font from multiple directories.

My folders are synced on an external drive.

Say I have the font Pooh.ttf residing in the directories "Disney" and "Cartoonish"

Which is the best way if I wanted to deleted from "Cartoonish" from the disk but leave it remain in the "Disney" folder?

My thinking is I have tagged the fonts and exported to the "Tagged" names to sort the fonts in their respective directory.

I know this takes up space with redundant fonts but easier for me to scroll through that certain directory for the font look I want.

Ive already accidentally removed fonts and hate to ruin all the work ive already done

TIA
Erwin Denissen

Re: Confused - Delete Font From Directories

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There are two ways to manage your fonts in MainType. You can use virtual groups or keep-in-sync folders.

A virtual group doesn't really contain the fonts, but it uses a database. It takes only a couple of bytes to add a font to a group, so hardly uses disk space.

On the other hand you can use keep-in-sync folders, which is basically how fonts actually reside on your hard drive. If you have exactly the same font in two folders, it will store the font twice as well.

So if you want to categorize your fonts and expect to have the same font in several places, then it is strongly recommended to use virtual groups. If you wish to work within a folder structure you also want to access through your hard drive, then keep-in-sync folders might work best.
Butch66 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 pmSay I have the font Pooh.ttf residing in the directories "Disney" and "Cartoonish"

Which is the best way if I wanted to deleted from "Cartoonish" from the disk but leave it remain in the "Disney" folder?
So first decide if you want virtual groups or keep-in-sync folders. If you wants virtual groups then just add and delete as much as you please. If you want to use keep-in-sync folders, then within MainType go to the specific folder and then select font you wish to delete. You will then be able to choose the option to delete the font from the file system folder.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Butch66

Re: Confused - Delete Font From Directories

Post by Butch66 »

Thanks.

Right now i have keep in sync groups.
I will go and try the virtual groups which sounds better for sorting I think