FmsConfig-Font Management Service

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
lov2teach

FmsConfig-Font Management Service

Post by lov2teach »

Today I tried to make a backup using FmsConfig Font Management Service. I'm not sure how long it's supposed to run to do this backup but mine ran for 6 hours and still wasn't finished. I only have about 500 fonts installed at this time. I went ahead and stopped it since I thought something must be wrong since it ran so long! How long does a backup take to do?

Of course, now I get an error message when I try to open MainType. (See attached screenshot below) What do I need to do to get MainType to work again? Should I uninstall it and then reinstall it? I'm using MainType Standard Edition Version 7. I am planning on upgrading to the newest version very soon.
Maintype error message.jpg
Maintype error message.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 4129 times

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Sincerely,
Donna C
Erwin Denissen

Re: FmsConfig-Font Management Service

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A backup should only take a couple of minutes if done local, but can take longer if you store it in the cloud.

The screenshot reveals you are running version 8.

To start the font service, either do it through FmsConfig, or just reboot your computer.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
lov2teach

Post by lov2teach »

Thanks so much for your help. I rebooted my computer and was able to open MainType this time. Yes, I am running version 8...I typed the wrong number.

How do you know where the backup is being stored? I just tried to run the backup again but couldn't find where to check if I needed to change where the backup was stored.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Sincerely,
Donna C
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Run FMSConfig, stop it running, and on the Backup and Restore tab, click on Restore or Backup to Browse for the folder.
Browse for Folder.png
Browse for Folder.png (14.29 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
There should be a subfolder named MainType. In that subfolder should be subfolders named fmsbackup20190606 (where the number is the date of the backup).

If you want to store these backups on a USB drive, use 7-Zip to compress them first to 7z format because that gives better compression than standard Zip.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486