Feature requests

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Will Thackara

Feature requests

Post by Will Thackara »

I purchased Main Type yesterday after comparing it with leading contender Typograf. Main Type is better organized and manages fonts more easily. At the top of my feature requests/votes are the following (in order of importance):

1) More information about Type 1 fonts, comparable to what is given for TT and OTF fonts -- especially creation dates, copyright and font vendor info (useful for identifying modifed fonts)
2) Keyboard shortcuts to Layout configurations including custom ones.
3) Kern pair info as in Typograf would be useful.
4) A font database as suggested by others in this forum would be helpful.
5) A drop-down list of previously visited folders on the Browse tab would enable faster navigation to frequently-visited font folders.

Congratulations on a well thought out program!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Number 5 is already there once you have visited a few folders in the current session.

Yes to all the others.

Font Properties Extensions will give you some more detailed information in Windows Explorer including the number of kerning pairs on the "Features" tab. It might be a while before Main Type gets an upgrade as it is still fairly new.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Will Thackara

Post by Will Thackara »

Thanks for the quick reply and link to Font Properties Extensions (which seems to give extended info only for TT and OTF, not Type 1 fonts).

It would be nice to have a permanent path for Windows/Fonts folder in the dropdown and, if possible, the folders visited in the previous session.

Any projected date for the next release of Main Type?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Will,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1) and 3) are already on the to-do list, but will have to wait some more. Most likely version 1.3 will contain these enhancements.
2) Will probably be available in the next upcoming release.
4) This would affect a lot of the existing code, so that will not be added in version 1.x. I still like the idea, so I will do some testing as soon as I start with version 2.0 (probably next year).
5) This is on the to-do list. See viewtopic.php?t=1272

I expect to release MainType v1.2 later this month.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Will Thackara

Post by Will Thackara »

Hi Erwin:

Thanks for your reply -- much appreciated. I look forward to the new release(s).