font selection - zipped fonts

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
lutz

font selection - zipped fonts

Post by lutz »

hello all,

I am certainly new to Main Type. Thus, these might be both suggestions and questions regarding usability issues:

- Is there a way to quickly navigate through long lists of fonts, for example by starting to type the name of the font into the field at the top in the toolbar (similar to ms office)?
Ahem, :oops: I have found the answer already in the forum (I had somehow no luck in the manual). OK, clicking into the font panes preview text and starting to type does the trick!

- Is there a way to view and work with zipped fonts?

Thanks in advance !
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: font selection - zipped fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

lutz wrote:- Is there a way to view and work with zipped fonts?
Not that I know of.

BTW If you want to save space by archiving rarely used fonts, use 7-Zip (freeware) to archive fonts. Compression of TTF in LZMA format is much better than ZIP format.

Example 36.9 Mbytes of 826 Bitstream TTF files

Zip = 24.5 Mbytes
7z = 15.4 Mbytes
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
lutz

Post by lutz »

Thanks Bhikku for the reply,

Actually, I had used this feature ( working with compressed ttf files) in another font-manager without even knowing about it (I believe this is a really good sign). Switching to main type I had to notice that the fonts are actually still zipped.

I believe it would be neat if Maintype would automatically look into zip and 7zip files and would de-compress them on the fly.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Another Thought

Post by Dick Pape »

Directory displays are significantly faster if fonts are zipped as the MS Operating System doesn't read each one to figure out its format (truetype or opentype) or something like that. Dealing with very large directories is a pain as it has to stop and think on each entry. If you skip ahead YOU must wait until the serial processing catches up...

Perhaps a proof is that the system goes very much faster when dealing with any other file type where it doesn't do this extra work.

I'm sure MT would not see any speed advantage as it would simple unzip each one before it did its usual processing and rezip afterwards(?). That's unfortunate.