Glyph preview with stylistic set info

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Dogmatix
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Glyph preview with stylistic set info

Postby Dogmatix » Sat May 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Quite a few OpenType fonts nowadays contain various alternative glyphs for characters, for example, alternative forms of 'a' and 'g', contained in stylistic sets. These glyphs can be seen in the character set pane when glyph view is activated. However, the only way to find out how to access such a glyph in a text programme, say, Word, is to go through all the stylistic sets (20) until you find it.

I would like to suggest that MainType be equipped with a feature which displays which stylistic set(s) a selected glyph may be found (or if it is a standard or discretionary ligature, or an old-style or lining number etc.). This could be shown at the bottom of the glyph preview pane.

It would also be nice if MainType could print all the glyphs in a font, not just those with unicode code-points.
(FontCreator 6.5 - MainType 4.5 - Windows XP)

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer
Posts: 6810
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:28 am
Location: Seven Kings, London UK
Contact:

Re: Glyph preview with stylistic set info

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat May 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Dogmatix wrote:The only way to find out how to access such a glyph in a text programme, say, Word, is to go through all the stylistic sets (20) until you find it.

Not really. Just type an alphabet, copy and paste it a few times, then apply each stylistic set in turn. Print out the sheet from Word or publish it to PDF as a guide. Something like this, but a full set of a-z (and A-Z too if the font has stylistic alternates for those).

Stylistic Sets.png
Stylistic Sets.png (29.25 KiB) Viewed 1050 times


I don't think doing that using MainType to find your glyphs would be very efficient. There would be a lot of switching back and forth, scrolling, and clicking.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC11.0 Pro + MT7.0 @ Win10 1703

Erwin Denissen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6567
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:41 am
Location: De Bilt, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Glyph preview with stylistic set info

Postby Erwin Denissen » Mon May 12, 2014 2:15 pm

Dogmatix wrote:Quite a few OpenType fonts nowadays contain various alternative glyphs for characters, for example, alternative forms of 'a' and 'g', contained in stylistic sets. These glyphs can be seen in the character set pane when glyph view is activated. However, the only way to find out how to access such a glyph in a text programme, say, Word, is to go through all the stylistic sets (20) until you find it.

I would like to suggest that MainType be equipped with a feature which displays which stylistic set(s) a selected glyph may be found (or if it is a standard or discretionary ligature, or an old-style or lining number etc.). This could be shown at the bottom of the glyph preview pane.

This is not very easy to accomplish, but it would be a nice feature so we have added it to our to-do list.

Dogmatix wrote:It would also be nice if MainType could print all the glyphs in a font, not just those with unicode code-points.

This should not be too difficult. We have added this feature request to our to-do list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology


Return to “MainType - Requests and Enhancements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest