Option to auto-install all from same Family

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Ardy Haze

Option to auto-install all from same Family

Post by Ardy Haze »

I would love if there were an option to right-click on a font, and click Install Whole Family.

When I am picking fonts for a project, I drag them into a Group, but often select only single weights from large families. Then, I have to backtrack to my main Library to install the rest of the family just so I have them available to me when designing.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Option to auto-install all from same Family

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Agreed

There's already a neat feature to group families.

It would be a lot better if one could install/uninstall an entire family with one click.
Family Groups.png
Family Groups.png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Ardy Haze wrote:I would love if there were an option to right-click on a font, and click Install Whole Family.

When I am picking fonts for a project, I drag them into a Group, but often select only single weights from large families. Then, I have to backtrack to my main Library to install the rest of the family just so I have them available to me when designing.
This sounds intresting, but we need some more input before even consider it.

Define family. Most Windows fonts contain only four styles, but there are numerous fonts with way more styles.

Should it always use the highest version in case there are more than one? Or should it use the one with the most number of glyphs, characters, or most recent modify date?

I have several fonts which share the same font family name, but are totally different designs. How should MainType decide what styles belong to the same family?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Ardy Haze

Post by Ardy Haze »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
Ardy Haze wrote:I would love if there were an option to right-click on a font, and click Install Whole Family.

This sounds intresting, but we need some more input before even consider it.

Define family. Most Windows fonts contain only four styles, but there are numerous fonts with way more styles.

Should it always use the highest version in case there are more than one? Or should it use the one with the most number of glyphs, characters, or most recent modify date?

I have several fonts which share the same font family name, but are totally different designs. How should MainType decide what styles belong to the same family?
There is already a column in MainType for Family. I'm not sure how the default setup is, but here it is on mine:

http://i.imgur.com/8FlQ0HN.jpg

Perhaps a wildcard definition could be made to install fonts with a matching first word.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Define family. Most Windows fonts contain only four styles, but there are numerous fonts with way more styles.
I have a super family of 120 weights, some of a couple dozen weights on down to a family of 10. Even in a design phase, I doubt I would ever turn them all on. I would X number of them if there was any doubt in my mind that a customer would want to see more than the weights I would opt to choose so they can make a choice.

If there is such a facility added in the future, being able to shut it off in preferences would be good. I personally don't find the present method onerous.
Erwin Denissen wrote:Should it always use the highest version in case there are more than one? Or should it use the one with the most number of glyphs, characters, or most recent modify date?
Herein lies one of my only real issues with MT. Actual, real, database management. I never want to see lower versions of a font and it is a pita to sometimes need to uninstall/reinstall just to truly rebuild the cache.
Erwin Denissen wrote:I have several fonts which share the same font family name, but are totally different designs. How should MainType decide what styles belong to the same family?
I have only ever had two single fonts that shared the same internal names. I simply used FC to change one of them. I don't know how much an issue this is for the majority of users.