CS4 Problem with PostScript 1-Fonts

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
resign.ch

CS4 Problem with PostScript 1-Fonts

Post by resign.ch »

Hello

I use Post-Script Type 1 Fonts from the Adobe Font Folio.
I install and/or loaded the fonts with MainType 2.1.1 und it works great on all CS3 Programms (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash...) until now.

But now i install the new CS4 Collection on my system (cs3 is allready installed).
All cs4-Programms dont Display the PostScript-Fonts in de Text-Menu... this error comes only in CS4 (photoshop, indesign, flash, etc.) MainType says, Font is installed and loaded.... i work on VISTA Home Premium 64-bit.

Is this Problem a knowed error?
does CS4 a other way to handle PS_Fonts den ins cs3?

please let me know, i can work at the moment on cs4, because of the missing PS-Fonts :(
(all openType or TrueType-Fonts doing well)

Thans for your Feedback an sorry for my bad swiss-english :)

greetings from Zurich
RESIGN
opeter

Re: CS4 Problem with PostScript 1-Fonts

Post by opeter »

If i'm right, Adobe is slowly canceling the PS fonts support in their future Adobe CS suites. OpenType is the future... If you go to Adobe Store/Fonts, you'll see, that they are selling almost only OTF fonts, the same goes for Font Folio.

Anyway, i hope, Erwin will see this thread and can answer your questions.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

If PostScript Type 1 fonts installed by other means (e.g. directly through Windows font folder) also fail to display in Adobe Creative Suite 4 Products, I suggest you contact Adobe. If this only affects MainType, then we'll have to look into it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
DennisTeusink

Post by DennisTeusink »

Hi,

I tested installing Type1 fonts with MainType 2.1 and the fonts don't show in CS4 products. By installing them directly via the explorer they do show. I think it's a problem with MainType.

I hope to have helped.

Dennis
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You should use MainType version 2.1.1. Please let us know if that solves the problem. Loading the fonts is fine with most software, but I suspect Adobe software might have problems with that, so I suggest you install the fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Salamalec

Post by Salamalec »

@Erwin Denissen

Hi,
as a followup: MainType (2.1.1) does not display PS Type 1 fonts in CS4.
Is highlogic working on this issue?

best regards,
jd lafontaine
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

If fonts don't show up in CS4, you should contact Adobe as they are the vendor who developed Creative Suite 4.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
fabian

Post by fabian »

I have the same problem:
PostScript 1-Fonts are accessible within Indesign CS3 and other Applications such as Word, but not within all Apps of the Creative Suite CS4. PostScript 1-Fonts that are installed via the Fonts-Directory of Windows are displayed properly and are working with CS4.
I looked up the Adobe knowledge base, but there seems to be no such problem listed, so I think the problem is Main Type.

Could you please investigate what the problem might be? It's not easy to switch to the new software package as long this problem exists.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

When you install the PostScript Type 1 fonts through MainType, do you let MainType copy the font files into Windows font folder? You can enable this setting through Tools -> Options on the Fonts tab.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
fabian

Post by fabian »

With this option enabled it works.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm glad to know that worked. It looks like a serious CS4 bug to me.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
fabian

Post by fabian »

I opened up a thread in the Adobe support Forums, let's see what comes out of it... :wink:
kiba91

Post by kiba91 »

I all,

Fabian, i have activated the option "copy postscipt to windows font folder" in maintype 2.1 like you suggered, but the font don't appear in cs4 product.

I'm on windows 7 rc x64, and when i selecting this option, my postcript font appears on windows font folder(C:\Windows\Fonts) when i browsing on maintype, but don't appears when i go on C:\Windows\Fonts with the explorer windows folder. So, postscript font don't show on cs4.

When i install directly my postcript fonts without maitype or suitcase, they appears correctly on my C:\Windows\Fonts with explorer and they selectable correctly in cs4 product.

Do someone know how my postscript fonts could be installed and showed directly with maintype?

thanks a lot.

Kiba
fabian

Post by fabian »

Hi Kiba,

I'm sorry,I can't help you, but I would encourage you to post this problem also in the Adobe forums (see link above).

I noticed a strange thing today: I tried to install a Rotis font with the method desribed above, but it did not show up in Illustrator CS4.
It did show up in Illustrator CS3 and when I copied some text written in Rotis via the clipboard into CS4, it worked. Suddenly, the font showed up in the fonts menu. Not correctly alphabetically sorted, but it worked. I tried this with all Rotis variants, all of them where working when a few characters where copy/pasted into Illustrator.

Erwin, is it possible that you could spend some thoughts on this?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We are about to release FontCreator 6, and due to the tight schedule we can't look into it right now. We'll investigate this issue as soon as we start working on MainType.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology