Vista: Some fonts print a generic version

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Alexandra

Vista: Some fonts print a generic version

Post by Alexandra »

Using Vista OS [I HATE THIS OS!], when I try to print the fonts sample via PDF or direct printing, the font does not print as seen, it comes up with a generic version such as courier. Is this a Vista problem, it does not do this when printing via XP. Also, these fonts that don't print as they are, will cancel the print job when using a direct printer, however, it will print in PDF as a generic version. For example: a font called Lansbury prints as courier in PDF and on the printer will cause the job to be cancelled. This probably is a Vista thing. But anyone have any suggestions?
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: Vista: Some fonts print a generic version

Post by Dave Crosby »

Perhaps it is a Panose problem?
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Panose? Whew... Not to sound stupid, but what is it and what can I do about it? Also, while I can generate a PDF [with generic fonts] in Vista in XP I can't generate a PDF because it basically is saying it can't read some fonts. Thought I could get around the issue with PDF. XP prints all the fonts as they are with no problem. So, now what do you suggest I do to get Vista to print the fonts? Thanks for your help - I love this program. I really missed Adobe Type Manager, this is a great replacement and it will always reside on my PC.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

what is it and what can I do about it?
You can read about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=941

Some applications look at the Panose number to find the font in memory (speed up process) and will often replace it with a similar font (seems dumb to me but what do I know?). If no Panose number is found ( 0000000000 ), it will use Times, Currier, or Arial.

Just insert a number.

There are lots of other possible problems. some applications want to see specific flags set in a font such as Proportional Spacing. Not a Proportional Spaced Font? Sorry, no can do. Erwin or Bhikkhu Pesala can take a look at your font and tell you more than I can.
Aut nunc aut nunquam