MainType 4.5 and Type1 - strange behaviour [Solved]

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
knatterton

MainType 4.5 and Type1 - strange behaviour [Solved]

Post by knatterton »

Hello !

Yesterday I installed MainType on 4 PCs with the mentioned configuration and have unpredictable results on all machines when I try to load, install or uninstall Type1 fonts (I tried several of them). Sometimes the fonts fail to load, install or uninstall, other times one of them or all tasks work.

As on the first machines where this happened the users did not have administrators rights, I assumed the security settings are the reason for this behaviour and granted access to the systems font folder, to fontcache and to the corresponding registry settings. But when I tried this on an other machine where the user has full access to everything, the same effects showed.

I also tried to install (and remove) some of the fonts manually to the font folder, after I did this the fonts could be installed, loaded and unloaded, but half an hour later, the font failed to load or uninstall again.
Whenever Maintype had such problem and I wanted to close it, it reported that it has a task to fullfill and if I still want to close it. This message only disappeared after I restarted the font service.

I also tried several OpenType or TrueType fonts, none of them caused such problems.

So, this should cover all effects I experienced.

Best regards, Klaus
Erwin Denissen

Re: MainType 4.5, Windows 7 x64 and Type1 - strange behaviou

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I will contact you, to see how we can further investigate this issue.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Re: MainType 4.5, Windows 7 x64 and Type1 - strange behaviou

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It was a little harder than we expected, but we are convinced the issue is now fully solved.

We will probably release this update later this week, but I've already uploaded the new setup and send you a direct download link. If others want to use this new version, just send me a pm.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
knatterton

Re: MainType 4.5 and Type1 - strange behaviour [Solved]

Post by knatterton »

Hello !

Thank you for replying with a fixed version so quickly !
This fixed the problem completely.

As far as I understood it was made visible by Type1 fonts which were imported from a network drive, the new Maintype version fixed this bug.

Best regards, Klaus
Erwin Denissen

Re: MainType 4.5 and Type1 - strange behaviour [Solved]

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad we were able to solve the issue.

We have released an update of MainType this morning, which contains the fix. So all other users of MainType as well as new users will get this fix either through the auto-update feature or by downloading and installing the latest version from our download page.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology