Font Tags whose names start with "-" (hyphen) don't work with Tag Search

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
PatrickOfLondon

Font Tags whose names start with "-" (hyphen) don't work with Tag Search

Post by PatrickOfLondon »

Hi,

(I'm new to MainType 6.0 as of yesterday. It's a fine piece of work by the author: thank you Mr Denissen.)

Learning my way around in MainType, I added some tags to some fonts, and Tag Search worked fine.

Later, I changed some of the tag names so that they began with a hyphen ("-"), to make them come to the top of the list of tags sorted by name.

Later still, I tried to use Tag Search again. But I discovered that tags whose names begin with a hyphen don't work properly with Tag Search.

Tag Search works properly once more, if you edit the Tag Names using the Tag Manager, and remove any leading hyphens.

This is only a very small "bug"; but I thought I'd nonetheless mention it here, as using (a) instead of -a- at the start of a Tag Name does not cause any problems. It might be useful to state, in the user manual, what characters Tag Names may begin with; or to change the functionality, to allow hyphens to be used.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Font Tags whose names start with "-" (hyphen) don't work with Tag Search

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Your findings are indeed correct.

The minus sign causes the problem, as that character is used internally. Just start with any other character and you're good to go!

The next upcoming major release will not accept tag names starting with a "-".
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PatrickOfLondon

Re: Font Tags whose names start with "-" (hyphen) don't work with Tag Search

Post by PatrickOfLondon »

Yes, blocking the use of "-" as a starting character will be helpful.

Many thanks, both for MainType, and also for your responsiveness.