Adobe Indesign CS6 Plugin "crashes" [Closed]

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
wtst

Adobe Indesign CS6 Plugin "crashes" [Closed]

Post by wtst »

IMPORTANT: MainType 7.0 InDesign CS6 plugin "crashes" the Find/Change and Numbering & Sections windows (possibly others). In other words, they flash and disappear. When I uninstalled the plugin, they worked fine.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Adobe Indesign CS6 Plugin "crashes"

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We'll look into this.

It would help if other people who use the plugins let us know their findings as well.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

What exact version of InDesign do you have?

You can right-click the InDesign.exe file in Windows file explorer to see this information.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
wtst

Post by wtst »

InDesign CS6 version 8.1 with latest updates (8.1.0.420) Win10 x64
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We have tested it with 8.3. Is that update available to you?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
wtst

Post by wtst »

I ran updates yesterday, and checked again today with no further updates available. Perhaps the European versioning number is different. My American version is 8.1 as mentioned earlier.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It seems it is only available with the new subscription model:
Steve Werner wrote:The perpetual license version of InDesign CS6, which you have, cannot be upgraded to 8.2.

If you have a Creative Cloud subscription, in addition to giving you access to the latest version, CC 2015, you can download InDesign CS6, upgraded to the 8.2 version, so it can work with the Creative Cloud software.
See:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2081001
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
craftycurate

Post by craftycurate »

I have had to remove the MainType plugin too, as it was causing the same problem with many dialogs instantly disappearing.

I am on on Win7 x64 Pro , using Indesign CS6 8.0.2 which is the latest release available, at least to non-CC members.

Thanks
Richard
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We still don't understand why the plugin conflicts with InDesign CS6 8.0.2. We'll let you know as soon as we've found a solution.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
as0o3dpd93

Post by as0o3dpd93 »

I'm still seeing this issue with the InDesign CS6 Font Handler plug-in v1.0.2 from MainType v8.0.0.1127 running on Windows 7 x64 (with the latest InDesign and OS updates); once that plug-in installed, many InDesign dialog boxes (e.g., the one that should open when you edit an existing paragraph style) flash and disappear immediately when opened. This leaves InDesign almost completely unusable.

Also, uninstalling MainType did not fix the issue for me, because the uninstaller leaves the plug-in in place; to fix the problem, I had to close InDesign, manually delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS6\Plug-Ins\HLFontHandler directory and its contents (which requires administrator permissions) and then start InDesign again.

As a result, I really can't use MainType 8.0, and am regretting my purchase of it.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

as0o3dpd93 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 pm I'm still seeing this issue with the InDesign CS6 Font Handler plug-in v1.0.2 from MainType v8.0.0.1127 running on Windows 7 x64 (with the latest InDesign and OS updates); once that plug-in installed, many InDesign dialog boxes (e.g., the one that should open when you edit an existing paragraph style) flash and disappear immediately when opened. This leaves InDesign almost completely unusable.
We have numerous other customers who happily use the installed missing fonts plugin for InDesign CS6. I can't think of any reason why our plugin interferes with InDesign, but I totally understand your disappointment. Maybe another plugin gets unstable, so removing all other plugins might be a way to test this.
as0o3dpd93 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 pm Also, uninstalling MainType did not fix the issue for me, because the uninstaller leaves the plug-in in place; to fix the problem, I had to close InDesign, manually delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS6\Plug-Ins\HLFontHandler directory and its contents (which requires administrator permissions) and then start InDesign again.
Within MainType you can install and uninstall plugins through the Plugin dialog. Alternatively you can remove the plugin manually as you've done.
as0o3dpd93 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 pm As a result, I really can't use MainType 8.0, and am regretting my purchase of it.
You can still use MainType without the plugin. Actually most people who have InDesign never use the plugin, as they prefer to have full control by manually installing fonts with MainType.

If you want a refund because you can't use the plugin, then do let us know and we'll refund your order right away.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
as0o3dpd93

Post by as0o3dpd93 »

Thank you, Erwin. I'll contact your Support team. I wanted to post here to provide the specifics of removing the plugin just in case anyone else encountered the same problem.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Hmm.

I have tested CS6 (version 8.1) with the HL CS6 plugin and found it works well. I haven't had any issues in running ID with the plugin and I haven't found a document that didn't have the fonts installed following dismissing ID's missing font dialog.

Typically on the Adobe forums, if there are panel or dialog issues, one is instructed to delete their preferences.

I typically do not run font plugins with any application. But this one works unobtrusively and have decided to leave it installed. At least for now.

I hope your issue(s) are resolved.
capture-001676.png
capture-001676.png (99.37 KiB) Viewed 14183 times
tevert

Post by tevert »

craftycurate wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:48 pm I have had to remove the MainType plugin too, as it was causing the same problem with many dialogs instantly disappearing.

I am on on Win7 x64 Pro , using Indesign CS6 8.0.2 which is the latest release available, at least to non-CC members.

Thanks
Richard
Same problem here. This is a HUGE problem obviously. Hit print?: No dialog, just starts printing because the HLFontHandler clicks print as soon as the dialog appears. Same with many other dialog boxes like help->about.

Running brand new clean install of Windows and CS6. InDesign CS6 8.1. Windows 10 1809 x64. MainType 8.0.0.1135 and plugin 1.0.2. No other plugins installed (other than the ones that install by default with CS6).

(By the way, my CS6 always updates to 8.1 and am not a CC member. I do use volume licensing.)

Tony
tevert

Post by tevert »

So I had a CS6 8.1 / Windows 10 1803 machine that I upgraded to MainType 8 and the HLFontHandler v1.2 last week and everything worked fine, until I upgraded to Windows 10 1809 yesterday. Then this problem started happening on that machine too. Nothing else changed.

By the way, HLFontHandler v1.1 (attached) works and does not cause this problem on Windows 10 1809, so that is what I am using on these machines until this is resolved.

Tony
Attachments
HLFontHandler.zip
HLFontHandler v1.1
(21.01 KiB) Downloaded 556 times