Font conversion

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
chrislyons

Font conversion

Post by chrislyons »

Hey there. I am trying to transfer some documents(that are in Greek) from a Mac to a PC, all of which use a Greek font(Newhouse DT Greek). The problem is that when the documents are transferred to the PC, none of the characters are mapped correctly. I believe that this is because of the fact that when they were created on the Mac, the Greek_English keyboard setting was used. So, I used Font creator to remap most of the characters to their correct keys. The only problem is that some of the keys seem to map to the same character. For instance, the P key should type a 'pi' symbol and the U key should type a 'theta' symbol but they both produce a 'pi' symbol. This happens with a few other of the keys too. So, getting to my question, I was wondering if there was some way to find out what hex(?) value a character in a document is mapped to and then create a new glyph in font creator to correspond with it. Maybe I'm just missing a step but this seems like it should hypothetically work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

In Word you could try to save the file as an Encoded Text file. Use a hex viewer to analyse the mappings.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

A cornucopia of useful features is the freeware program IrfanView from:
http://www.irfanview.com/
One feature is the facility to open such an encoded file in hex viewer.
Joe.