Table or List of Common Font Heights

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Francis_Kuhn

Table or List of Common Font Heights

Post by Francis_Kuhn »

I was wondering if there is a list of baseline values for common font heights. I understand that I probably need to calculate a specific height based upon the point size being used for the font, but where can I find a list of these baselines. I need fonts like Arial, Times, Tahoma, Courier, etc. -- Thanks
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Font Heights

Post by Dave Crosby »

I assume you have at least downloaded FontCreator.

Use it to take a look at the fonts you favor. Open the editing window for H and x. Select a point at the top of each glyph.

The top of H is Cap Height, the top of x is x-height.
When you make a new font, FC uses these two glyph editing windows to automatically adjust these values for you so you can make your new font whatever you wish.

The fonts you mentioned all vary from each other in width and height.

Personally I usually try to keep my fonts at 1600 f-units tall, but that is just me.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Francis_Kuhn

Post by Francis_Kuhn »

Dave, thanks for your reply. My question is really more basic. Where does FontCreator get its baseline values. Is there a table or a list or an API where I can get the height (or a baseline value) for a given font?
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Height

Post by Dave Crosby »

Hi Francis,

Open the font you are interested in and click on Font > Properties.
All of the font data will be displayed there. The highest point on the glyph is Y Maximum, Lowest is Y Minimum. These two added together will give you the total glyph height. X values will give glyph width. These figures encapsulate the Bounding Box (b-box) as explained in Glyph Design Laws.
Look at the bottom image.

OR click on Format > Settings > General or >Metrics.

I hope your answer is here somewhere. If not, I'll try again.
Aut nunc aut nunquam