Need Alternative to Windows Font Folder

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
JMasterJ

Need Alternative to Windows Font Folder

Post by JMasterJ »

I have over 7000 fonts and I admit I have been too lazy to take care of this before... but the excess of fonts in my Windows font folder is causing some system issues, and I know you can use a separate font folder and manage them somehow that way... can anyone please point me in the right direction on location or best program (preferably freeware) so I can free up my Windows folder? I do Photoshop and my media players (because of subtitles) also strain to start up because of the font caching. Thanks!
vanisaac

Re: Need Alternative to Windows Font Folder

Post by vanisaac »

Umm, have you looked at MainType?
JMasterJ

Post by JMasterJ »

I havent looked into any program yet because I dont know which ones do what i need it to... is that freeware?
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

No, it is not freeware, but it is free to try. Download it here.
In my opinion, it is by far the best font managing program out there.

In January of 2006 I wrote this introduction to the product, and it has gotten better almost every month since then!

I have my (over 100,000) fonts in many folders on a separate hard drive, 1-Fonts (with sub-foldeers Panose 2, 3, 4, 5, AncientLanguages, DanXSolo, Seasonal, etc) for the fonts I REALLY like.

Another folder named 1CollectedFonts with sub-folders AA-AB, AC-AD, etc. to ZA-ZZ. When I find a collected font I really like, I move it into folder 1-Fonts.

Still another folder contains the fonts I have personally created.

Maintype helps me quickly find the font I need to temporarily LOAD for a project that is automatically unloaded when I turn my computer off. It also helped me set up a 1-Groups Folder with sub-folders containing shortcuts to fonts to load fonts as a group for special projects that I use over and over without having to keep multiple copies of each font.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
JMasterJ

Post by JMasterJ »

Ok I'll check it out thanks..

But esp for u with much more than what I have, how in the world do you look through the fonts and group them for any one projects? I mean, if it were me, I would love to group them as say, "Modern Design, Hi-tech, sporty, elegant, block bold..." etc... so I can just look through that section when I need instead of looking through 1000 fonts.

And I assume this program will allow me to customize in such ways?

Anyone else have any ideas that have been successful for yourselves?
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

Name your sub-folders whatever you want.
Aut nunc aut nunquam