Assigning Different Characters to Addional Modifer Keys.

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
ulaping

Assigning Different Characters to Addional Modifer Keys.

Post by ulaping »

In FontCreator, how do you assign a character to a particular modifier key. For example, if I wanted to assign a character to shift key+Y, all I would have to do is insert a new character on the Capital "Y" cell in the Glyph overview window. Then when I press shift+Y on the test font window, the assigned character will appear.

I would like to know how you assign characters for ctrl+ and ctrl+shift. I know this is possible because I've seen this done in Microsoft Keyboard Creator. I can type in a multitude of characters by pressing the ctrl+ and ctrl+shift buttons. I want to know how you do this in FontCreator.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Assigning Different Characters to Addional Modifer Keys.

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You cannot assign characters to keyboards in FontCreator. You can only map characters to code-points. Capital Y is code-point 89 (decimal) or 059 (hexadecimal). Lowercase y is code-point 121 (decimal) while lowercase ÿ umlaut is code-point 255.

Deciding how to type a given character (code-point) with the keyboard is not a FontCreator topic, which is why I moved your first thread to this General Font Discussion forum rather than to the FontCreator support forum.

Lowercase ÿ can be typed by holding down the Alt key and typing 255 on the Numeric keypad. This method can be used for many other characters too, but its not very user-friendly. So, before designing your font, you need to give a great deal of careful thought to how users are going to type with it. If they need to install custom keyboards or customise their word-processor, that is a barrier to your font being popular. For a Devanagari font, I suggest designing it to work with the standard Windows Devanagari keyboard. I am not familiar with using that keyboard or typing Devanagari.

In Word-processors like Word or OpenOffice you can map characters to keyboards using the modifier keys, or the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator will let you map characters for use with all installed programs, even those like Notepad that don't support keyboard customisation.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486