Kerning Test

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Kerning Test

Post by Dick Pape »

This will examine your kerning skills. Move letters into position in a 10 font test. Nicely done.

http://type.method.ac/
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Kerning Test

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thanks for that. A fun way to hone your kerning skills.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My averages for three runs were 82, 85, then 93.

I tried the test several times when this thread was first posted. Then my highest average was 91.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

I scored a 78 the time I did it, but I couldn't figure out how to actually do the first one, and ended up submitting it before doing anything. By my back of the hand math, that put my real score at 86 (78/90*100).
Branais

Post by Branais »

Thanks for posting that, Dick — a very entertaining challenge.

I scored 79, which included 3 x 100s, and one zero! ;-) (I don't always agree with how tightly people kern letters to capitals like T, so even though the variation was small, "Type" was the word that did me in.)

(See, even here in my browser, the "Ty" is far too tight, to my eyes. Just me?)

Oh, and by the way: hi, everyone. I'm fairly new here, though not to the world of typography, and haven't posted much. Looking forward to some useful and interesting conversations.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Branais wrote:Oh, and by the way: hi, everyone. I'm fairly new here, though not to the world of typography, and haven't posted much. Looking forward to some useful and interesting conversations.
Welcome aboard.

It is always good to have some feedback from experienced Typographers. Kerning is difficult to get right. Optical metrics in the latest Pro version may reduce the amount of kerning needed, but that's also difficult to get right. See my thread in the Feature Requests forum.

I tend to make my kerning too tight. The top three are my fonts, the bottom one is Times New Roman.
Kerning.png
Kerning.png (10.39 KiB) Viewed 8700 times