Adjustment of Advance Width

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
algrass

Adjustment of Advance Width

Post by algrass »

Hi,

I have another little problem with the Asian Languages script. I chose initially an advance width of 1600 points (left to right bearings)believing that to be enough. However, I am now doing some Kanji characters which really do not fit in 1600 points horizontally and require up to 1800 points. I can alter the advance width individually but since more than 700 characters are already completed, I would like to know if there is a command that enabes me to change the advance width on all of them simultaneaously.

Thans again for your advice.
Al
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Adjustment of Advance Width

Post by William »

This note is based on the features of version 5.6 Professional.
I do not know if this has changed in detail in later versions and I do not know if the facility is available in the Home Edition.

Tools
AutoMetrics...
>>
Next >

There is then a dialogue panel where the Advance Width can be entered.

Finish

May I suggest that instead of a value of 1800 font units that a value of 1792 font units is used, as 1792 is an exact multiple of 256 and that might help the rendering engine to produce its best results.

William Overington

12 June 2012
algrass

Re: Adjustment of Advance Width

Post by algrass »

That was a great suggestion, William. It works fine also on the latest 6.5 version. Actually, I never really understood the dialog box on the Autometrics and I was too lazy to find out. But I did suggest to Erwin that he should review his manual!
You deserve a couple of pints of beer.
Cheers
Al