displaying font in different browsers

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
honest.bern

displaying font in different browsers

Post by honest.bern »

I am not sure where to post my question. I do not know whether my problem is caused by my operating system, the browsers I use, or the way I designed my font.

On my old computer (Windows XP) I modified a “keystrokes” font. I used this font in an html document, and viewed and printed it using Internet Explorer.

I now use a different computer with Windows 7.
I now find that the font displays properly in Wordpad and Notepad.
It does not display at all in Internet Explorer 9.0 (but in tables the default font is substituted.)
Firefox 17.0 and Opera 12.02 substitute the default font in text and tables.
Chrome 23.0 displays the font correctly in text, but substitutes the default font in tables.

I enclose a copy of the font. Its name is “Bern Key”. The file name is “Bernkey_1.ttf”

Can anyone suggest what I should change so that the font always displays properly?

Bern
Attachments
Bernkey_1.ttf
(59.73 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: displaying font in different browsers

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My first guess is because its a symbol font.
In order to change a symbol font into a normal font there are a few things:• Make sure the Windows platform is "Windows Unicode BMP (UCS-2)".

From the Platform Manager command (Format menu) select the Windows platform. Now press the Change button. The platform should be changed from "Windows Symbol" to "Windows Unicode BMP (UCS-2)".
• In the Settings command (Format menu) on the Classification tab set the PANOSE - Family Kind from "Pictorial" to something appropriate and the Font-family - Class from "Symbolic" to something that suits the fonts style.
• In the Settings command (Format menu) on the Ranges tab change the Code Page Character Ranges (if available). Unselect "Symbol Character Set" and select the appropriate ranges.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486