draw glyphs from points

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
deepinlife

draw glyphs from points

Post by deepinlife »

Hi Guys. i want to draw a glyph by walking through its stroke point or path outer and inner point . i want to get the points of the path or stroke diminesions like this
glyps { (0,0) , (10,10) ,(20,20) } and so one .. then i can move with a brush on it ..
my problem is how to get these points ?
i googled for some time , and i m confused . i tried some tools to get such points from TTF files , but it seems that points in these files is not a path made of polylines , it is points(control and real points) of quad curves or even more complex curves .
tried inkscape but still not big luck ..
so any ideas ?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: draw glyphs from points

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Truetype Explorer is the only program I know of that will give that kind of detail, though FontCreator will also show the node positions in the hintline.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
deepinlife

Post by deepinlife »

Bhikkhu Pesala , thx so much for your replay .The prgram u mentioned is very interesting , can get all data structure from the font file , but still it don;t solve my problem .Maybe my explaining for teh prorblem was not clear ,let me explain again
i want a tool which provide me with the point of the path .the points stored in the Free type fonts conating small number of points , some of it is control points(don't belong to the curves) and the other points lay on teh curve . i want to draw lines from every point to the next . which needs many points to draw good looking font .so i need a tool to provide me with such points which wil be 100+ at some glyphs i think !
maybe their is other kind of fonts not using quadratic curve points , have heard about single stroke fonts , but with no luck up to now
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:FontCreator will also show the node positions in the hintline
Even when zoomed in closer than 100%, I find that the coordinates shown in the hintline don't always match those shown on the Position tab of the Transform toolbar (F6).
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Alfred wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:FontCreator will also show the node positions in the hintline
Even when zoomed in closer than 100%, I find that the coordinates shown in the hintline don't always match those shown on the Position tab of the Transform toolbar (F6).
Going off-topic here, but I don't see any disparity. Better start a bug report thread if your findings are any different.
Attachments
Node co-ordinates.png
Node co-ordinates.png (13.52 KiB) Viewed 7748 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

deepinlife wrote:I need a tool to provide me with such points which will be 100+ at some glyphs I think!
I think you will have to write your own program to plot points. Truetype fonts only contain the points needed to describe the bezier curve.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Alfred wrote:
Going off-topic here, but I don't see any disparity. Better start a bug report thread if your findings are any different.
My mistake. I was looking at the cursor coordinates in the left-hand corner, not the 'point selected' coordinates. :oops:
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10